Marine Electronics

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

kens

Post by kens »

kens

Re: Marine Electronics

Post by kens »

I just went out with Northstar 210 fuel monitor. I burned 3 gallons, and it read 3 gallons. Looks good so far.
The Furuno 6100 fishfinder read data at all speeds up to 30mph (WOT), never missed a thing. I like being able to run along and see the bottom rising up underneath.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

raymacke

Post by raymacke »

I like being able to run along and see the bottom rising up underneath.
I have to agree. Too many times it seems I have used my lower unit for a depth sounder - not the ideal solution! :D
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

kens

Post by kens »

Does your unit have a setting for 'keel offset' ? Mine has that but I havent messed with it yet.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

raymacke

Post by raymacke »

No it doesn't. It is a very inexpensive unit with monochrome display, not to mention it is nine years old . Really just wanted the display to show the "trend" - is the bottom holding or coming up or going down. Don't do any fishing.

But even if it did have it, in my case I wouldn't be using it. My main concern is not the water depth from the surface to the bottom (what you get with keel offset) but rather the real distance between the keel and the bottom. The Cabin Skiff has a shallow draft and I often sneak into some fairly skinny water. I have had to pole my way out a few times but try to keep it to a minimum!
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

gregggrundon

Post by gregggrundon »

Kens,
Hi Buddy, great topic, thanks! I needed most of these answers, too.
I still am yet to find a digital map of the Marshall Islands I can plug into a GPS. But, I'll try being polite for once :shock: , and start a new topic, to see if anyone knows where/ how to accomplish this.
We have many, many coral heads, and sea mounts that just pop up, so the depth finder info. will sure come in handy.
I just wanted to say "Hi". I'm not in the water, yet. But, I'm not dead, either. Things are progressing,... slowly.
Thanks for a great topic, and all the great advice and friendship.
(That goes for all my friends, and Leakcheck! )
Aloha,
Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

Thanks Buddy...there I am pulling up the rear again!

gregggrundon

Post by gregggrundon »

The Best for Last man, you know that.
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

Return to “Miscellaneous”