David Grason no longer a moderator

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

John B

Re: David Grason no longer a moderator

Post by John B »

Oyster,

Just got your email and sent you a reply. Thanks!!!
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

kens

Post by kens »

rasorinc wrote:One thought, give several members who are active on the forum and have a good history here the ability to delete spam as soon as they see it. When these spammers have to keep reposting it might get old. This way no one or two people have to take the time each day but 6 would always be on the lookout.
I had talked to Dave last Sat morning about Guntersville, and the spam. The very thoughts above were expressed in Dave's intent.
I am sad that it worked out this way.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

Dave, thanks again for your past efforts. You handled the few "issues" I have had with generous understanding.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

Thanks Dave for your great service to this community!
What's the rush? Getting it finished?!
Zip project started: January 2008
Project site: http://www.hartdale.co.uk/blog/

gregggrundon

Post by gregggrundon »

Thanks big Buddy, good run! be cool, finish your boat, so you and momma, can go for a ride on something other than a yard tractor!
Good luck, stop back sometimes so I/ we can pick your brains some more.
Aloha No, Mahalo Nui Loa,
Gregg Grundon of the Rosekey-G.
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

I dunno man. Sometimes I feel like my brain has been picked pretty clean. :lol:

I gotta say, I didn't realize how liberating this was going to turn out to be. I come home from work or I get up in the morning and turn on the computer. I no longer feel that I HAVE to visit the forum or that I HAVE to log in to see what has occurred overnight .... or to see if there are new folks to welcome or see if there are questions that I can answer. Now I can come online only if I want to and if I've got something work related that's really pressing, I can go and give it the needed attention without feeling that I've let someone down. I think I'm going to like this. Hmmmm. 8)
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Cec

Post by Cec »

Guess I need to check in more often. Dave, best to you and thanks for all of the advice over the past few years. John, re: Spam, does your log on to the site have one of those forms that have mixed letters/numbgers that you have to fill in before you can become a member? Many of the sites get spam from bots, not humans, and that would slow it down a bit. It won't stop the real humans from getting in but it might help.

I run a mail server for our company and just installed a newer updated version of it. Everyone loves it now because their spam is almost gone. Maybe there are filters your programmer has that can be added? I'm not sure how the new sign up process works for your software.
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

John B

Post by John B »

Cec wrote:John, re: Spam, does your log on to the site have one of those forms that have mixed letters/numbgers that you have to fill in before you can become a member?
Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, we do have one of those alpha-numeric forms that pops up, as well as requiring the input of the "secret code" given on the lead-in page to the Forum, yet they didn't stop the recent onslaught of spam that hit us after we installed the updated Forum programming. If it's any consolation, in researching this I've found that just about every site using this particular software was hit as hard, or harder, than we were.

We have been "tweaking" things for the past several days, and it appears that we've eliminated all of the problem (for now, at least). We're still working on a few things to be proactive and hopefully preempt any further troubles, but any and all suggestions are more than welcome.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

Return to “Miscellaneous”