Windshield Brackets

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

vupilot

Re: Windshield Brackets

Post by vupilot » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 am

I went ahead and ordered the cast ones from Lake Shore casting. They are drilled and countersunk for mounting screws. They do some bronze casting as well but he said he would not want to cast the brackets in bronze as they are difficult enough in aluminum. Takes about 3-4 weeks to ship as they are made at the time of order. Order by fax or email and they will bill you.

I still may go ahead with our own design, waiting on the drawings to come back.
_Chris

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:22 am

Thanks for checking on these Chris.

I think I'll go ahead and order some too in a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure if I'm going to use a windshield on my Squirt,but I'll order them while they are still available.

I can always resell them on here or E-bay if I don't use.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:32 pm

I was hoping to revive this thread...Upspirate and Vupilot where going to order some brackets. Im thinking of ordering some for our squirt, but was waiting to see how Upspirate and Vupilot did with their orders, or anyone else who ordered them

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:11 pm

I got my cast set back and am happy with them...these were cast from a CC set that I had from the resto project I'm working on. Since they cast them as a favor to me I didn't even think about asking how much they would charge to make more...I will look into it though.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Hey, you know the rules, you cant tease us like that. We need pictures!

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:54 pm

You're right...I dropped them off at the chrome place today...as soon as I get them back I'll post pics. I hope I didn't mess up. I didn't even ask how much it would cost to plate them. :shock:
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:41 pm

ttownshaw wrote:You're right...I dropped them off at the chrome place today...as soon as I get them back I'll post pics. I hope I didn't mess up. I didn't even ask how much it would cost to plate them. :shock:
"If you got to ask how much, yu can't afford it" :wink: I would think that it would be at least a thousand, its for a boat, BoatOnAnotherThousand that is. :lol:

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Funny, mine just came tonight.

These are the ones from Lake Shore Casting in Erie, PA from the link and pics at the beginning of this thread. I'm no expert in cast aluminum but I think they are great. Just need to find a place to put a nice finish on them.

To place my order I first called and they said to order by email and the brackets would be sent out in 3-4 weeks. I got the feeling this is a small one man operation. I ordered by email and got no confirmation that they got my order. Two weeks later a note came saying they were being cast and the price of 100$. I expected to pay shipping so I emailed today to ask what the total cost would be with shipping so I wouldnt be delayed getting them sent to me. Well, the brackets came tonight...with no bill. So I gotta call in the morning to find out exactly how much to send them. I like that a business is so trusting but wow. Not complaining, just thought it was odd in today's world. Just as he said, exactly 4 weeks order to delivery but that was even with Thanksgiving in the way.

I'll have the pics on my site later this evening.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Can the aluminum be polished rather than chromed? Also do you think they are the right proportions for the Squirt? Thanks

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:40 pm

I would not hesitate to put them on a Squirt. They might be a little big for the Squirt but you can cut your glass so its not as tall and I think it will look great. Kevin had similar brackets on his Squirt at the Gathering this year and I think they looked perfect. I dont know of they were modified at all though. http://picasaweb.google.com/vupilot/Gle ... 1092985186

I wonder about the best way to finish them also. They have a slightly rough texture like 120 sand paper from the casting process. I would think you could polish them to a pretty darn good shine like I have done on polished aluminum airplanes. For my application I'd prefer to just get them chromed so they match the rest of my deck hardware better.

Edit: Called them this morning, they said they send the bill after the parts in a seperate envelope.

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:49 am

Well I'm sold. I just oreder a pair of brackets for $100 plus shipping. Thanks again for the help

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:09 am

I am looking forward to the chome pictures also. I won't need mine for a while, however they seem like a good value compared to what I've seen on ebay.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Stevengould46

Post by Stevengould46 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:05 pm

I'd be VERY interested in a set of bronze brackets. I'm finishing up Hankinson's Miss Chris and have about given up on finding off the shelf windshield brackets.

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm

I love the Miss Chris. Do you have pictures? Anyway I have found two sets of original brackets for my Monte Carlo on Ebay. One is for the rear cockpit and is a little smaller and the other is for the forward cockpit and it is larger. I think I ended up with $700 for both. I missed the best one by not hitting the buy it now button when it came up. Keep looking as they do come up.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:01 pm

I finally dropped off my LakeShore Castings windshield brackets this afternoon at the plating shop. I wonder why all the plating shops are always in the sketchiest parts of town. This place was pretty iffy looking so I hope they turn out right.

Some folks here were interested in photos and info on the cost of plating I'll post pictures when I get them back.
I had no idea what to expect for cost of getting these chrome plated but the secretary said it would be around 100$ for all 3 pieces and that the manager would call me monday to confirm everything before they start.

Return to “Miscellaneous”