the BB is a DUD!!!

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

guest2

the BB is a DUD!!!

Post by guest2 »

If it takes this post, then I am posting as a guest. If I can post as a guest, then there is no point in using this thing anymore. The spammers will post their wares as a guest and load it up.
Sorry, but it AINT working.

Post by Guest »

It takes less than 2 minutes to set up an account. Once you create it there's nothing else to do.

Why not just adapt?

If you folks give it some time I'm sure you'll see how much more value they just added to the site.

Now if only there was a way to import the old boards info into this one.

Post by Guest »

GLEN L must have the "password/accounts" feature,
turned off?

JimM

Post by JimM »

I hated it at first also, but learned how to live very comfortably with it. The trick is to first set your bookmark to the correct location. NOT to www.glen-L.com, from which you have to navigate to the forum, but to index.php. This gives you a full-sized window of the forum only, without Glen-L's menus on the left. Then when you access it, click on "View posts since last visit" in the upper-right (it may only work after you've registered and been in once already). This gives you two-click access to all the latest goings-on in the forum.

I don't know whether guest access will bring on the spammers on this type of forum engine - it may be too complicated to access, I hope!

BTW, what do you all think of the recent legislation introduced, to create a "do not spam" list? Will it help at all???

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

I've only found this forum in just the last few days, so I'm new to it. But I'm not new at all to forums in general. That can be evidenced by the fact that I'm the only member here with an Avatar. Maybe others don't know what an Avatar is.

Anyway, with my business I have memberships on several forums, some with many thousands of members. This is what I've seen and on some of those forums, how to avoid or handle spamming and other problems has been a hot topic for conversation.

One huge problem that occurs as membership grows is that we see many people get free memberships but have virtually no interest in the subject matter of the forum. They just like to see their words in print. But if they don't know a whole lot about the topic, they get corrected, then they get beligerent and then there's a confrontation. It's no fun. Some forums are nothing more than profanity filled wizzing contests. We could go a long way toward preventing this if this forum required the following:

Password each time you visit.
No guests are allowed to post. While they are certainly welcome to read the posts, they cannot post without becoming members.
In order to be a member, each person needs to fill in the required fields: name, location and have an email from an ISP other than a free one. No hotmail or yahoo accounts.
Also, for location, saying your location is: "Duh, sitting at my computer, you moron" is NOT acceptable. :D The locations need to be a city, state and or country that can be reviewed by the moderators. Uh, are there any moderators here?

Personally, I can already see that the nature of boatbuilding has drawn a much higher caliber member than any other forum I've been on. So, this may not ever be a problem anyway. I hope not. I like it here. The nature of some forums, such as one dedicated to hot rodding Mustangs, naturally tends to draw a large percentage of mental pygmies. Not that Mustangs are for the stupid, but you're always getting into that "my car's faster than yours, man" stuff and how can you have a Ford forum without Chevy guys stirring things up? And vice a versa. I think you get my drift. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

The old Boatbuilder Forum did get spammed a bit, but it didn't seem to be a great problem. The only trouble was it always seemed to be at weekends when there was no-one around to remove it.
AFAIK it hasn't happened on this new list yet, if it does I'm sure they'll step in and stop guests from posting.
BTW you're not the only one with an Avatar, there's at least one other member who uses one, I guess most of us just don't bother though. Like the emoticons, I hate the things and can't see the point, if you can't express yourself through words then a smiley face is really no substitute. But then I'm something of a curmudgeon who thought the same about computers until a few years ago, now I wouldn't be without mine.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Hey, I spotted that avatar, but off hand I can't remember who had it.

I use the avatar for the same reason that I like to use the smileys. They're just plain fun for me. I always try to stay serious about my questions for other forum members and certainly serious if I'm giving answers because I never want to steer anyone wrong intentionally. However, I like to have a lot of fun. My wife and I are constantly joking with each other and it has kept our 16 year marriage fresh and lively. It's a great antidepressant.

On other forums, the smileys become important in avoiding potential miscommunications, too. But then again, a lot of those members are quick to take offense and I've gotten used to using the smileys to give my true meaning a little more kick. It's like the old sentence where voice inflection on each word totally changes the meaning of the entire sentence:

"I NEVER said she was lying."
"I never SAID she was lying."
"I never said SHE was lying."
"I never said she was LYING."

You get the idea.

Anyway, what is a "carmudgeon?"

In 1994, I spent 3 weeks in Quito, Ecuador. I was staying in a boarding house/hostel type place and there was a girl from Manchester, England there also. This girl laughed at everything I said no matter what it was. Finally I pinned her down to what it was that was so funny. She just found my accent, my mannerisms and my choice of words amusing - an American thing. Her name was Jill and she was a lot of fun to be around. She did NOT offend me at all because I secretly was finding her very British mannerisms just as interesting and entertaining. :P I was just worried about offending her so I kept silent. Turns out that she would not have been offended either.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Post by Guest »

Dave,

North Englanders don't offend easily! I agree with both though. I don't like the emoticons (though I do try to use them sometimes) but the old happy face :) is useful when you want to make sure you're not misunderstood.

And you are not getting my email address until I know you better!!!!

I have a hotmail address for use on forums. Friends, relatives and business associates get the real one. The problem is real simple - if you wanted to compile an address list for spam you can pick addresses off a bulletin board (real easy) or hack into Hotmail or Yahoo (little more skill required). I just don't want all that crap on my email and I don't want to have to change my email just to get rid of it - don't mind changing my hotmail address though.

Ken Franks
Calgary, Alberta
CANADA

P.S. The reason I post as "Guest" is because the BB makes me think up a new username everytime I post if I log on first!!! Don't know what I did wrong and don't have the time or energy to pursue it. (Till someone stops guests posting:) )

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Anyway, what is a "carmudgeon?"
A curmudgeon is a grumpy person, usually an old man, except at 42 I'm hardly an old man and actually not that grumpy most of the time, just about some subjects, also a bit of a Luddite I suppose!
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Anonymous wrote:Dave, North Englanders don't offend easily!
I think you're right. In retrospect, I don't remember the girl from Manchester ever getting offended at anything. But here in the US, we tend to walk on egg shells because so many Americans are very quick to take offense. Don't get me wrong, many are very easy going. But whenever I've been in another country, I've always been amazed how I could pick the Americans out of a crowd. They constantly are the loudest, rudest, most arrogant and dress more slovenly than anyone else.

My wife and I were in Cozumel, Mexico a couple of years back. I don't speak perfect Spanish, but I'm about 70% fluent - certainly fluent enough to have casual conversations way beyond the old How much is this? or Where is the bathroom? We were in a touristy knick knack shop and a woman from New York was having a terrible time trying to get the clerk to understand what she was looking for. In fact, she wasn't getting through to the clerk at all. But when I tried to translate for her, she got really mad at me and told me to leave. "I can do this for myself, dammit!" That's what we're used to here and it's why I personally try to keep quiet. And personally, it's quite embarrasing at times to see my fellow Americans act ugly like that.

Also, when my wife and I are out of the country, I wear a nice pair of slacks, polished shoes and a dress shirt with a neck tie in the evening and a pair of dress casuals and a nice sport shirt during the day. My wife will wear a comfortable dress but we dress up because then we are treated more respectfully when we're seeing the sights.

One thing that the girl from Manchester kept saying that got me tickled was that she kept using the word "nip." She would say: "Pardon me while I nip up the street." or: "Excuse me while I nip into this store."

One day we both caught a bus to Otavalo. The bus was absolutely full and the only place to sit was the cover over the engine. So we both sat down and after a while she said: "Me bum is quite hot actually!" I know that doesn't sound funny at all to anyone from the UK, but I was in tears. I had to turn away cause I didn't want her to see me. It was just such a total surprise that it really struck me funny. I love meeting folks from other parts of the world.

Wow, I didn't intend to go on a rant. I'm thinking that since this forum is labeled "miscellaneous" it can be taken off topic.

Return to “Miscellaneous”