Deck planking & seams discussions

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rbrandenstein

Re: Deck planking & seams discussions

Postby rbrandenstein » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:07 am

I used hard maple and African mahogany planed to 3/8", then I ripped the mahogany to 2" and the maple to 1/4" strips and edge glued a maple strip to each mahogany strip. I then fitted these on the deck for my planking. I used Famowood mahogany filler for the small gaps.
IMG_0814.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:16 am

Bob

Thanks. I plan to use African and ... Maple sounds like a good choice, if I can get it. I probably can.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:41 pm

If you want really white wood for the narrow pieces try Atlantic White Cedar. It's the only white wood that doesn't turn black when it gets wet.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

crankie

Postby crankie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:04 pm

I am at this stage on my Malahini and want the contrast of wood, mahogany and ash, question is I am using stain on the mahogany so do I have to tape of the ash to keep the stain off?

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:48 pm

very hard to stain the mahogany and not the ash, you might have to stain the wood before you lay it,as I think the stain would seep under the tape, which then poses problems with sanding it fair and not removing the stain.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:28 pm

I taped off the wood to be stained and put a coat of epoxy on the white wood to keep the stain off. Seemed to work ok.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:32 pm

I have a question for Bob Brandenstein. I thought about PMing, you Bob but then I thought that this should be on this thread so that the answer can add to the discussion. I have gone through your build blog and have learned a lot. It's a good blog BTW. But I don't see where you stained anything on the deck. So I'm thinking that the rich look of the wood is what the African Mahogany looks like with simply epoxy and varnish. Am I correct on this?

In addition, the hard Maple that you used for the feature lines has a slightly yellow tint to it from the photos in your previous post above. If I am correct, this is simply the look of the Maple with nothing more than the epoxy and varnish. Am I right?

If this is all true, this is a look that I would be VERY happy with. I really LOVE it! And I see no point in making for any extra work. My goal right now is to finish this boat and get on with the next boat.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:11 am

Dave,
I stained the cover boards, but I did not stain the planking between the cover boards. The staining makes the African mahogany very uniform in color, but unstained, you get more variety of color and tone. I thought about staining all the mahogany planks, but masking each maple strip did not look like fun. (I made the strips 1/4" to match the 1/4" auto masking tape I bought with that in mind.) Now, I really like the variation on my deck.
The maple is also just epoxied and varnished which gives it a slight amber hue.
Here I am masking the trim, which I also stained.
IMG_0841.JPG

Here is the cover board and trim stained.
IMG_0842.JPG

Now, with epoxy.
IMG_0844.JPG

Return to “Miscellaneous”