Deck planking & seams discussions

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

thudpucker

Re: Deck planking & seams discussions

Postby thudpucker » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:55 pm

For you guys who have access to Photo Shop, Use the magic wand tool, click on the color you want to change, and only that color will change.
Then you can see what the boat would look like with White, or Blacks strips.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:49 pm

I have got a picture of a Lyman with black seams. But, it will be Tuesday before I can get to it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

John K

Postby John K » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:12 am

Gail,
Thought about one other thing you might want to add. It was suggested to use the spaces used on ceramic tile. I did not do mine this way, but think it would provide a much more uniform spacing. They come in a bunch of widths and would be perfect.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 am

I thought I had a better picture.

Bill
Attachments
AUGUST 19-06 013.jpg
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mark Chadwick

Postby Mark Chadwick » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:26 pm

On the ideal of different wood - you mean like using holly or sitka spruce for the white?

Have seen patterns on forward deck on a gentleman's racer done that way. Awesome and the joinery was a thing to behold. I'm not sure I would be up to it - but it looked wonderful!

Mark C

alphacat63

Postby alphacat63 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Mark Chadwick wrote:On the ideal of different wood - you mean like using holly or sitka spruce for the white?

Have seen patterns on forward deck on a gentleman's racer done that way. Awesome and the joinery was a thing to behold. I'm not sure I would be up to it - but it looked wonderful!

Mark C

I posted a question similar to this on another forum. I'm building the Malahini. I don't necessarily want to copy this exactly, but the Cris Craft Capri in this photo is kind of the look I'm going for. Based on what I've read thus far, I'm thinking of using thin strips of something like Ash or Holly in the seams. But I also want to do a lighter colored wood down the king-plank and around the cockpit. I've read that these old boats were done that way by bleaching Mahogany, then giving it a very light amber stain. I'd like to go for a look similar to this, but I think it would be too much a pain in the backside to try to bleach lumber. If I can find a wood (again- Ash? Holly?) that's lightly colored and not be prone to any sort of problems, that's what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
Attachments
capri.jpg
capri.jpg (42.08 KiB) Viewed 7654 times

Feckless

Postby Feckless » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:17 am

Here's a shot of my deck with black seams. Used a 100% silicon black caulking. A trick though is stuff cotton cording in seams before filling with caulk. When caulk starts to show it's age I can easily pull on cording and zip it out of seams in minutes. Also it is supposed to help avoid seam separation.
Attachments
0099.jpg
Black seams
It's amazing what one can accomplish when he doesn't know what can't be accomplished.

khundley

Postby khundley » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:19 am

alphacat63 wrote:
Mark Chadwick wrote:On the ideal of different wood - you mean like using holly or sitka spruce for the white?

Mark C

I posted a question similar to this on another forum. I'm building the Malahini. I don't necessarily want to copy this exactly, but the Cris Craft Capri in this photo is kind of the look I'm going for. Based on what I've read thus far, I'm thinking of using thin strips of something like Ash or Holly in the seams. But I also want to do a lighter colored wood down the king-plank and around the cockpit. I've read that these old boats were done that way by bleaching Mahogany, then giving it a very light amber stain. I'd like to go for a look similar to this, but I think it would be too much a pain in the backside to try to bleach lumber. If I can find a wood (again- Ash? Holly?) that's lightly colored and not be prone to any sort of problems, that's what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

How about maple? Hard, stable (if you don't use figured) not sure of its rot resistance, but its a thought.
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:20 am

I dont think Ash would look right on a big piece, its very grainy. Holly is pretty expensive so I agree with Hundley, Maple looks like the way to go.

2FunKids

Postby 2FunKids » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Thanks Gayle, I just posted a question on this topic the other day. Based on my Furniture experience at John Widdicomb Fine Furniture Co, any solid layup will expand and contract and without some type of expansion joint there is the opportunity for cracks. I personally like the Caulk method the best without the varnish over the top. This should allow movement to be absorbed by the elasticity of the joint. If it will easily pull out for restoration as noted on your document that is a good plus. I am also seeing some very nice painted on patterns that are just gorgeous.

Ray

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:18 pm

I sticking with the 3M4000UV on my decking. But, on the cabin sole and galley top I want to go solid wood. What wood will be the whitest for the seams?

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:01 pm

:D Any chance that wood couldn't be pickled-we used to put this mix on pine cabinets .In qt jar -put 1 cup white enamel paint,1 cup turpentine,and one cup linseed oil.shake up well and using rag to wipe on wood.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Here's my ZIP decking. Light wood is White Oak, dark accents strips and center board are Bloodwood.

Started with a 2" X 2" X 12' length of white oak, onto one side glued a 1/4" X 2" X 12' strip of the bloodwood.

Ripped the glued up assembly into 3/16" strips, then ran the strips through a planer to take them down to 1/8"

I was left with 'Preassembled' strips that were 2 1/4" wide - 2" white oak & 1/4" blood wood - 1/8" thick.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:23 pm

GDC

That is how I plan to do it. Laminate the thin and wide together. Then cut it veneer.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Miscellaneous”