Silicon Bronze...Frearson vs. Square Drive

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Mark-NJ

Silicon Bronze...Frearson vs. Square Drive

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon May 02, 2016 4:32 pm

OK...so I'm sold on the goodness of Silicon Bronze, but I'm absolutely hating the Frearson drive. The "special bit" might have the "right angle"....but to say it's a good fit is a joke. I've torn out enough heads to know it's not "just me". The driver-to-head fit sucks.

As an alternative, I can buy these same screws with a square-drive head. Having driven a bajillion square-drive deck screws, I've grown to appreciate the technology. That said, I wonder if a bronze screw is too soft to keep from rounding out.

Has anyone driven any bronze screws with square-head drives? Any pros or cons?

Thanks!

ps: although I'm pilot drilling, I'm driving into sapele, which is as hard as granite!

gdcarpenter

Re: Silicon Bronze...Frearson vs. Square Drive

Postby gdcarpenter » Mon May 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Speaking of deck screws, too bad they don't make silicone bronze screws with a Torx head!

You could always get "Old School" slot heads!

Seriously I have never tired, or heard of for that matter, square drive silicone bronze screws.

As I understand it a Canadian invented the "Robertson" drive screw, similar to a "Square" dive screw, but with tapered sides. Seems he didn't want to share his patent with "Yankees" :)
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Mon May 02, 2016 5:34 pm

Square drive here.....

http://tnfasteners.com/cgi-local/browse ... 6bbbfcedcb

I'd LOVE a torx-head! That would be too cool for school!

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon May 02, 2016 7:31 pm

I converted to square drive :D

lakeracer69

Postby lakeracer69 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Square drive is all I use. I really like using an impact driver too. Much better than just a drill.
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

kens

Postby kens » Mon May 02, 2016 8:31 pm

I think McFeeleys sells them
Measuring props with computerized and digital equipment is still subjective at best

lakeracer69

Postby lakeracer69 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:43 am

kens wrote:I think McFeeleys sells them
or Jamestown Distributors
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

curtgard

Postby curtgard » Tue May 03, 2016 5:51 am

I used literally thousands of square drive silicon bronze screws in building my True Grit. They were all driven with a cordless impact driver and I stripped out less than half a dozen heads. They were driven into white oak. All holes were predrilled and a steel screw put into the hole and removed. Make sure the driver bit is held tight into the screw head and you will never have a head stripped out.

Curt Gard

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Tue May 03, 2016 5:59 am

Thanks to all! Glad I posted this question.....You've convinced me!

Bye-Bye Frearson.....Hello square-drive!

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Tue May 03, 2016 6:34 pm

My experience with square heads exactly the same as Curt's - white oak - lots of screws - next to no problems. I also second the use of the battery powered impact. Even on non-boat projects I tend to use it more than the cordless drill. With a set of hex shanked drill bits it is my preferred tool for driving or drilling anything 1/4" or less.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

galamb

Postby galamb » Wed May 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Square drive (better known as Robertson heads) are Canadian Eh!

So just like our beer, a little stronger than the stuff south of the border :lol:
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu May 05, 2016 9:02 am

I bought a corded porter cable impact driver. It's great until the last two sheets of plywood on the bottom. Full length sheets and screwing into butt blocks, bottom battens, chines, and keel. Probably 100 or more screws per panel. The in both cases the impact driver has gotten so hot that I could barely hold onto it and had to switch to my cordless drill/driver. Should be ok moving forward as I wont have as many screws in the final two panels.

kens

Postby kens » Thu May 05, 2016 10:12 am

galamb wrote:Square drive (better known as Robertson heads) are Canadian Eh!

So just like our beer, a little stronger than the stuff south of the border :lol:

oh yeah, ! and you go to a bar north of the border, and they got ten kinds of beer as long as it's all moosehead. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Measuring props with computerized and digital equipment is still subjective at best

Andrew K

Postby Andrew K » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 am

It is a shame that Robertson screws are not adopted by most Americans. Those that use them that I know, love them. It was not a matter of not wanting to share a Canadian product with Americans. I believe American auto makers, way back, did not want to adopt non-American products (Robertson Screw) and Phillips Screws have survived but are vastly inferior in this Canucks humble opinion.

Scot2640

Postby Scot2640 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:38 pm

I've been sourcing materials for my big build and I have found Jamestown distributors to have the best price on SB screws. They carry a huge assortment with a square drive. Mcfeelys does as well but they were the most expensive that I found.

I'm shopping for the big ones, 12 and 14 size so its painful to see the prices. However the SB screws are easy to find.

The hardest thing to find is the good old fashioned hot dipped galvanized, cut thread wood screws. I've only found 1 place online that carries them. Everyone else has the narrow shaft, rolled threads style. My keel bolts are galvanized so I was hoping to have all my fasteners galvanized as well. I just ordered a couple boxes for testing purposes.

Rolled threads are fine for most things but I'm looking for as much shear strength as I am holding power. All the SB screws that I have found are cut thread so you can't go wrong there besides the cost. Yes I know in the grand scheme of cost in a large boat build the fasteners are insignificant, but damn it still hurts.
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

http://www.seadreamerproject.com
http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

Return to “Fasteners”