Zip Build Fastener Kit

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Antler24

Zip Build Fastener Kit

Post by Antler24 »

Building a zip, was going to order the fastener kit but I want to screw the planking down. I also read of a couple users that bought the Fastener kit that ended up with 100 screws of tge wrong size, and had to buy an extra 100 of the correct screws to finish the boat.

If I plan to screw the planking down, will the fastener kit alone be enough? Will I have a bunch of stuff leftover? Should I forget the fastener kit and buy separately?

JimmY

Re: Zip Build Fastener Kit

Post by JimmY »

I think a lot of builders have an aversion to hammering the planking on, so many opt for screws. I bought the fastener kit for my Squirt and extra screws for the planking. I did use some of the nails on the frames, but everything else has screws. I have 3 or 4 boxes of nails left over. It would be nice if Glen L offered an option of nails or screws in their kits.

If you are set on using screws, call up Glen L and see what they can do for you to substitute appropriate screws for the nails. Whatever you decide, stick with the Silicon Bronze and Glen L's prices are competitive. Also, consider buying some stainless or plated screws in the same size for fitting the planking. You will probably end up installing and uninstalling the planking a few times to cut and fit it. The Silicon Bronze screws are pretty much one use. I omitted this and stripped out many screws that couldn't be used for final assembly.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

You could also consider using screws and nails, placing nails in every other hole. It will save considerably. I used the ring shank nails on a lot of the Torpedo build and they do work well.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I use a few screws to position and shape the planking or sub-decking. At final, I fill in with ring shank nails. Then I climb inside and make sure there is good contact with the frames and battens. Then I use nails to pull things into contact as needed. You will have a hard time pulling a ring shank nail out. Pre-drill the nails to help avoid bending them.

The nails are sold by the pound. They supplied the same way in the kits. A pound of 1" nails is approx. 304 nails.

Always silica bronze.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Antler24

Post by Antler24 »

Thanks for the replies guys. I like Roberta's idea to alternate screws/nails on the panels. I dont think the strength difference between the nails/screws is something we need to worry about, but building in my basement I like the idea of drilling instead of hammering with the kids upstairs maybe sleeping. I'll definitely be talking to Gayle to see if they would be interested in substituting nails for screws if I pay the difference.
Last edited by Antler24 on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Predrilling for nails is important to prevent splitting wood and makes hammering a bit quicker and quieter. I would use the necessary amount of screws to position planking, then use nails to finish securing planks for epoxy curing. The best sizes of screws are number 8s in 3/4" and 1-1/2" lengths.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Antler24

Post by Antler24 »

Predrilling will be a must!

Great idea Jimmy on using stainless screws to fit the panel! I priced out the Mahogany yesterday even though I was going to buy the plans, fasteners, books, and epoxy first. Ive found 2 places willing to order it in for $15/ft. Sheesh. I did luck out and discover a local interior molding place that had some left from a custom order, they will sell me what I need for $9/ft. I may have to put off the plans and stuff for now, and jump on that mahogany to save a few bucks in the long run.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Antler,

I'm not sure why others have posted about wrong sizes and amounts in the fastening kit as these are taken from the bill of materials. If we've made an error on an order, we're happy to fix that. If you want screws instead of nails, you can just order the fastenings separately as opposed to kit form or I can figure it for you when you're ready. We've had other builders do that. Happy to accommodate!

Antler24

Post by Antler24 »

Gayle, Im just guessing here but Im thinking the guy bought the kit and used the nails for frames, transom, breasthook, stem, etc and then used the screws for planking. He then ran out of screws but had a bunch of nails leftover. I cant verify but thats my guess.

It was one post on this forum and one on another forum. I cant seem to find either post now, but I have a feeling both posts were made by the same person.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Antler, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that!

Return to “Fasteners”