Temporary Screws breaking off

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

GaryS

Temporary Screws breaking off

Postby GaryS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:33 pm

We are using temporary steel screws to align and hold things as the epoxy hardens, we then remove them before the epoxy gets too hard (that’s the plan anyway).We have sometimes misjudged the time to remove them and as a result have snapped some off leaving part of the screw in the hole – these are very hard to get out.
Does anyone have a better way to ensure that temporary screws can be more easily removed without risk of breaking? Can we coat them with something before we screw them in (something that does not affect the epoxy)?
Any comments would be appreciated.

areame

Re: Temporary Screws breaking off

Postby areame » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:27 pm

You might want to try coating them with some wax before you crew them in. They'll go in a lot smoother and should be easier to take out. You should be able to find the wax at any hardware store and it's not expensive . Hope that helps.

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:19 am

obviously... make sure that your drilled holes are not too tight....
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Ches T

Postby Ches T » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:25 am

I agree, make sure the holes are not to tight.

A couple of things come to mind that I have come across. I have had temporary steel decking screws break when I am putting them in if the hole is not deep enough. I am using Sapale for my frames for my Zip and if you have used Sapale you know how hard and strong it is. What I have done is use steel screws for the dry assembly and fitting, and then when I epoxy everything together I use the silicone bronze screws and then you don't have to worry about taking the screws out again.
Ches

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:46 pm

I'm assuming you have, but in case you haven't, be sure to predrill the holes. They make nice tapered drill bits just for this sort of thing. Also, as someone else has alluded to, the harder the wood the tougher to remove screws - so in my white oak I use the next size up tapered drill bit than is called for to make removal easier.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

GaryS

Postby GaryS » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Yes we always pre-drill. We probably have the initial drilled holes too tight, we will try slightly larger holes. We will also experiment with waxing as well.
Thanks for all of your comments - very helpful.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:00 pm

I have used a bar of soap as a lube also for driving screws

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:53 pm

you can use heat on the head of the screw to soften epoxy
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

khundley

Postby khundley » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:27 pm

upspirate said it...I use soap too. Nothing like the scent of irish spring to compliment mahogany!
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:15 pm

What are you using to install/remove them? The #1 tool in my shop is my 18V impact driver and I highly recommended it use. These work great for driving screws without breaking them off. Somehow the ratcheting action reduces the stresses but still drives the screws. Plus it is easier to control the power and depth driven.

When driving screws I may have the drill sitting right there but will walk to the other end of the shop just to get the impact. I never use a drill anymore for driving screws.

Made by many different companies but here is an example of what I am talking about - http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/18v_oneplus/drills_drivers/P230
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Return to “Fasteners”