Staplers

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Graham Knight

Staplers

Post by Graham Knight »

Anyone here used an electric stapler/nailer before? I'm considering buying one, not for boat building at the moment but I'm sure it will get used for that too, and I wonder what they are like.
I have an air nailer/stapler at work, but sometimes the air line isn't available, sometimes I need to use one where there is no air supply, and an electric one would be easier than lugging the portable compressor around.
After all, if there's somewhere to plug the compressor in I may as well plug the stapler in there!
I've seen a Rapesco nailer/stapler that drives nails up to 35mm and staples up to 30mm, up to 30 per minute which is slower than the air nailer but that's not important.
Does anyone have any experience with these or similar makes?
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Graham,
If you will also use it for boatbuilding at some point, check to see than suitable fasteners are available. Most manufacturers make their money on the fasteners, not the gun. Which means that the fasteners are proprietory and will not work in other guns.
My own experience was with a small electric nailer that worked fine in soft woods, but would not set all the way in oak.
Last edited by Barry on Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Thanx for that Barry. I had thought about the suitability of fasteners, most being plain steel and therefore unsuitable for boatbuilding use, but I note that Martien has been using stainless staples on his Riviera so they are obviously available. I'll have to check beforehand and see that they are available for whatever brand of stapler I go for.
Mostly I just want it for the quick assembly of MDF boxes at work, something that I have to make quite a lot of for an ongoing job, but these things obviously have their uses in boatbuilding too.
You may remember from one of my other posts that I intend to build a small plywood clinker (lapstrake) boat as my next project to replace my fibreglass one. Today I got a copy of Iain Oughtread's excellent "Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual", in which he recommends the use of staples as temporary fasteners when gluing the planking laps, so it will certainly be used for that purpose fairly soon.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

Whenever I've used staplers and other nail guns, I've never found an electric that had the driving power of an air gun. And for sinking nail heads and staples into hard wood such as oak, many times, even air guns didn't get the job done.

Back in the 80s, the first of the really nice trim guns still were not acceptable for shooting stair case hand railings, step treads and such. As long as the trim was pine or poplar, we were ok. But when the project called for stain grade (oak, maple, cherry or hickory) forget it. It's only been the last 10 years or so that air guns have had the umph to sink the fastener.

When installing oak flooring, we've always had to switch to hand held nail guns when we get close enough to the far wall that we can no longer use the flooring nailer. This was where nail guns made so many promises that they failed to keep.

I know you mentioned MDF, but even that is tough enough. I've seen a lot of MDF that is as difficult to drive a nail into as any hardwood. I'd see if I could try it before I bought it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Mdude wrote: I'd see if I could try it before I bought it.
This is why I asked if anyone had experience of them, I've never used an electric one and although they make good claims in the brochure that doesn't mean that the thing actually works in practice.
I doubt I'll get to try it before buying, but the company I buy most of my tools from has no problem with returns that are found unsatisfactory, I've sent more than one tool back in the past and wouldn't hesitate to sent the stapler back too if it's no good!

Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother »

Graham, I know this is an old topic, but wondered what you came up with?

Thanks,

Dale
:) Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

I went for the Rapesco (now called Tacwise I think?) electric nailer/stapler and it's excellent.
I must admit it doesn't really have the power to sink the heads in very hard woods, as Dave suggested it might not, but ply and MDF are no problem.
For boatbuilding use I've found it to be perfect, I've just finished the planking on my clinker ply skiff and it was invaluable for temporarily stapling the plank laps while the epoxy cured.
As the staples were to be removed it was undesirable to sink the heads, I fired the staples through a length of parcel strapping tape, then simply pulled the end of the tape and most came straight out, those that were left were easy to remove as the heads stood 1mm or 2mm proud.
Of course for temporary fixing I just used the cheap galvanised steel staples, but there is quite a range of stainless staples and nails available that fit the gun if I need them.

Return to “Fasteners”