Hot Dip Gavanized Wood Screws

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

rasorinc

Hot Dip Gavanized Wood Screws

Postby rasorinc » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Does anybody know an on line supplier of hot dip galvavized wood screws of all sizes. I have spent well over and hour searching W/O success. No problem with bolts but cannot find a suopplier of hot dip screws. Thanks much, Stan
Wood lasts generations.

razopp

Re: Hot Dip Gavanized Wood Screws

Postby razopp » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:41 am

Reuel Parker comments in his Sharpie Book that cold-galvanized deck screws may be a good choice depending on the use.

Robert

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:46 am

Are you planning on using them on a boat or some non=boat related job such as a wooden deck or simular item using the new PT materials?
If so take a scan of this link.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/tech/acq.htm

rasorinc

Postby rasorinc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks to the both of you. Yes they will be used in building a boat and will be couter sunk with epoxy over, so no air gets to them which is why I cannot use stainless steel.
Wood lasts generations.

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:33 pm

rasorinc wrote:Thanks to the both of you. Yes they will be used in building a boat and will be couter sunk with epoxy over, so no air gets to them which is why I cannot use stainless steel.

Well this is debatable and has of yet been proven completely unsound in these small boat builds. In most cases fasteners are used to simply hold parts in place when epoxy is used for the glue. I have countersunk stainless steel including 18-8 in numerous cold moulded hulls and simply left them in place.

I removed a sample decking on my own 16 footer which I had sunk them in the cleats mounted to the stringers after ten years of heavy use and found them to be sound. But good quality 316 stainless steel hardware of simular size in boxes of 100 seems to be running the same as the silicon bronze hardware. Depending on what you are building too, the cost comparison and overall costs of the total hardware is peanuts by comparison. Tell us more about the particular hull. Personally I have never seem hot dipped galvanized wood screws that I can remember. Maybe the reason for this as I have never found the need for them. Even ringshank nails that I have used are monel, stainless and bronze, which has pretty much covered the basis.

Almost all work boats use galvanized but always suffers the same results, red rust and even when using some types of wood a terrible reaction causing decaying of the wood itself.
So it does come back to your particular build, size and quality too, IMO.

rasorinc

Postby rasorinc » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:49 pm

I have found a supplier............Hamilton Marine.com offers wood screws in all sizes Galvanized. Thanks much everyone.
Wood lasts generations.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:41 am

We do have some 1-1/2" galvanized wood screws in the Clearance section of our site:
http://www.boatdesigns.com/1-1_2-8-Galvanized-Wood-Screws-144/productinfo/11-208/

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:54 am

I've been a carpenter for too many years and have seen how ineffective galvanized wood screws are. It is a light surface coating only, and often the mere slight damage done installng them corrupts the coating such that they will corrode in short order. I would not use such screws on my deck let alone my boat. Theoretically if they are perfectly encapsulated and sealed they should last, but real life ain't theory and I would not take the risk on my boat.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Return to “Fasteners”