bronze nails vs. white oak...

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

jprice

bronze nails vs. white oak...

Postby jprice » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:07 pm

white oak wins!

I always expected to be using screws for almost everything. Just as I'm getting ready to start putting the gussets on frame 1, I decide to check the fastening schedule.
"nails? really???"

So I start with 2 screws in each gusset, just to hold them in place, and then pre-drill the nail holes. Start nailing and, well, lets just say I'll be breaking out the dremel in the morning to cut off some bent nail heads.

I'm just glad I had the frame already glued up with filler pieces first. Otherwise all that pounding would have definitely knocked the frame out of whack.

Not sure what I'm going to use these boxes of bronze nails for, but it definitely won't be anywhere near white oak.

kens

Re: bronze nails vs. white oak...

Postby kens » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:32 pm

With these epoxy build projects, the nails (or screws) are mostly there to hold it all together until the epoxy sets. If you could build the whole darned thing with just clamps then there would be little use for nails or screws
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

jprice

Postby jprice » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:44 pm

kens wrote:With these epoxy build projects, the nails (or screws) are mostly there to hold it all together until the epoxy sets. If you could build the whole darned thing with just clamps then there would be little use for nails or screws

You're probably right. It's just my woodworking past that makes me cringe when I think of a glue joint with no mechanical fasteners. :shock:

Rational Root

Your holes are too small.

Postby Rational Root » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:16 am

Your pilot holes are too small !

Get some scrap oak, and a set of drill bits in very small increments, and find out what size hole works.

That's white oak, and those are bronze nails.

Also, get a nail punch with a head to match the size of the nails.

http://davesboat.blogspot.com/2007/08/t ... rt-of.html

Hey! I built a boat ! No Really, I did !
http://davesboat.blogspot.com/

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:43 am

Dave... I like the vase of flowers on your workbench. That's a very nice touch. :wink:

(+1 on the pilot holes... I learned that pretty quickly... but - as Ken suggests - on my next boat, I probably won't use the bronze ring nails...)
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

jprice

Postby jprice » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:57 am

Yeah, the only reason I even tried the nails was because that's what the fastening schedule called for.
I much prefer to use screws. The gussets on the other side went on really easy with screws.

Return to “Fasteners”