Okay folks, nailers

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Oyster

Okay folks, nailers

Postby Oyster » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:35 am

I broke down and purchased one of those nailers from Sears.[yep cheap with a small tank for easy storage ] I always steer away from many of their tools because many cannot be worked on or accessories are not interchangable with off the shelf stuff. But anyway what I would like to know is about the brads. As some of you know the Biscayne project has been on hold but it looks like with a bunch of avaliable free time and with the materials collecting dust too I will be getting back to it.

So with that said the nailer says 18 gauge, but the ones that comes with it are cheap steel and long ones. Not having the past experience of laminating with nailers, instead using the old fashion methods of screws and washers or hand staples, please provide me some constructive imput on what I can do with this nailer and not have to worry about the issues of long brads and crappy metal stuff.
This is the reason why I am a bit confused and concerned about getting something that fits the Sears nailer.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12069

Does this nailer shoot the plastic ones? Thanks in advance for helping this fumbling boob here.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Okay folks, nailers

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:12 am

I'd go with raptor for cold mold. Then you can shot between batens, if you have to, and it won't be a porcupine on the inside. My Porta-Cable will shoot them. I don't know about sears.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:32 am

Do you have a number for your porter cable?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:02 am

Don't know off hand. It came in a set of two guns, brad gun and nail gun, and a pancake compressor. That's the little flat round tank. The number is probably covered in epoxy now.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

red

Postby red » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:38 pm

Oyster ive used a little craftsman 18 gauge nailer for 15 years and its still going the one i have will shoot brads from 5/8 to 1 1/4 I would think that if the raptor brads are also 18 gauge and not an off size they should be just fine in that gun but Ive also never used any of the raptor nails before but have used other brads besides craftsman in the gun without any issues (passload ,portercable,ect..)

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Stainless steel 18 gauge brads are available and I have used a good many finishing my True Grit's interior with my Porter Cable gun but I think the plastic would be better if your gun shoots them OK.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Return to “Fasteners”