Use of staples

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

300whisper

Use of staples

Postby 300whisper » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Has anyone used 3/4'-1' staples to fasten the plywood to the ribs of a boat until the epoxy sets would this work or not.

DaveLott

Re: Use of staples

Postby DaveLott » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:28 am

Staples are used all the time in cold moulding to hold wood in place until the epoxy sets. If you have trouble pulling one after the epoxy sets, just apply a little heat. Also, consider some type of barrier (such as packing straps) to staple thru. It makes it a lot easier to get ahold of the head to remove them without gouging your plywood hull

In areas where the staples will not hold, you will have to use clamps or screws.

I trust you are painting your hull.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

300whisper

Postby 300whisper » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:54 am

So could I just leave them in it will be glassed and epoxied on the outside and then painted and the bottom might get linexed.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:14 am

Personally, I don't see why not. But someone else may have another opinion. If you leave them in, I would use stainless steel staples and make sure the head is below surface and covered over.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

falconer100

Postby falconer100 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:06 pm

I used nearly 20,000 staples on the hull, thats a lot to pull out, but pull out I did. A little trick I found worked perfectly was to staple over a plastic washing line that had a steel wire inner, when the epoxy has set just pull sharply on the wire and the staples fly out, if any stay in on one leg, just flick them out with a pair of side cutters or pliers. If you use this method on your mahogany layer, use some padding under the staple head such as corrugated plastic, this prevents dents in the wood. When pulling out staples ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!! If you leave staples in, they look awful on the inside of the hull. Good luck.

Corey Glynn

Postby Corey Glynn » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:57 pm

I used a pneumatic air nailer with 1" finishing nails. Used a scrap piece of wood to keep the shoe of nailer back from the surface and this made the finishing nail stand proud of the plywood. After the epoxy kicked, we went back and pulled the nails with a wunderbar. Went surprisingly fast. We probably used 10,000 nails and pulled 9,999.

Tried plastic nails and staples and didn't have much luck - couldn't get them to "countersink" in to the plywood - others have had more luck.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:45 am

I used plastic staples for all the cold molding process and then used steel staples for the last lamination of mahongany. Turn the air up a little to set the plastic staples flush. they also sand well. I felt they were much stronger than the steel ones except in sheer. The steel ones I pulled while the epoxy was green or at least not fully cured. I usually shot the steel staples in the evening and pulled them in the morning.Your outside temps will play a part in when the epoxy cures. I dreaded pulling the steel ones but in the end it wasnt as bad as I had anticipated.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Corey Glynn

Postby Corey Glynn » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 am

Hey John - Who's plastic stapler/nailer did you try?

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:57 am

Raptor Brads and Staples from Composite Fasteners in Texas.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:19 pm

What Dave said. :D
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

keith

Postby keith » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:54 pm

I got some raptor 18g brads as a sample, they work perfectly thru ply, but not so good into sapelle with my gun. Guess they are right when the say you have to use thier gun. Only problem is local agent is cagey about what the guns cost. Wanted to send me one to try and then bill me if I liked it.
Building a Monaco....provisionally called "Serenity"
http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.com/

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:40 am

I bought the stapler a coupler of years ago and it was about $180 then. Probably more now. But the time and grief it saved was worth it to me.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Return to “Fasteners”