Screws instead of nails - how many?

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

shandman

Screws instead of nails - how many?

Postby shandman » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi folks. Apologies if this Q has been covered... If so, I missed it in here! :-)
I've just started a Bullet build and have opted to use screws exclusively. But, how many screws do I need instead of the nails that are called out in the fastening schedule? Should I assume a 1-to-1 relationship is a good approach? The size of the 'replacement' screw should be fairly intuitive; I feel comfortable making that determination. A follow-on question for Gayle might be: With respect to the recommended Bullet fastening kit, if Glen-L nails are sold by the pound, and screws by x number per box, what's the equivalent of screw count to nail weight? I could then make an educated guess on a custom fastening kit sans nails. Or is it more simple than that? :?
Art Shand

Bill Edmundson

Re: Screws instead of nails - how many?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Generally 1:1 should serve you. 1" ring nails and 1" #8s. As I remember, spacing is about 3" to 4" along the keel. transom and chine. You can probably go 6" at the shear.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:25 pm

Just buy a bunch of them....you'll be using them on your next build or other projects!!! :wink: :D

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Personally I like to buy an assorted amount of different sizes, both in screws and nails. For some reason no matter how good I try to figure, there is different sized materials that requires the so called ideal hardware. You will never go wrong and as far as the costs, fasteners in the neighborhood of number 8 screws works just fine for most of these trailerable boats. Nails work fine if you are driving them in on a work bench, but does have some drawbacks when you are working on a frame and strongback on the skeleton.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

In the Boat Nails section of our site, each size of nail lists the number of them per pound:
http://www.boatdesigns.com/Ring-Shank-Boat-Nails/products/294/

Hope that helps!

shandman

Postby shandman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Great input guys (and girl)! Thanks so much.
Art Shand

Return to “Fasteners”