Fixing bollard

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

ChrisP

Fixing bollard

Postby ChrisP » Sun May 20, 2012 2:28 am

Can anyone tell me the holding power of 14 gauge screws 1 1/2 inch long into teak timber x 4 fixing a bollard to the bow of boat. Should I epoxy these screws in place and what is best, 316 stainless steel or silicone bronze?
Kiwi boater from downunder.

BruceDow

Re: Fixing bollard

Postby BruceDow » Sun May 20, 2012 4:39 am

Can you get beneath the timber to bolt it down?
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun May 20, 2012 7:00 am

If it's bronze use bronze. Otherwise I'd use 316.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

ChrisP

Postby ChrisP » Mon May 21, 2012 1:13 am

Hi, it is a brass bollard which has been chrome plated. I was wondering if silicone bronze screws were best.

I can not get under to bolt however the casting is hollow so I was thinking of gluing in a 1/2 inch stainless steel bar into the bow spit and bonding into top of bollard as well as 4 14 gauge screws.

Any other ideas would be great.
Kiwi boater from downunder.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Mon May 21, 2012 4:02 am

I can attest to the fact, that screws will hold tightly under normal conditions.

However, if there is blunt force they will not work. For example, a friends boat was in a boat slip and used his cleats to tie off. Someone came thru the dock area high speed with a wake. The wake hit the dock and rocked the boats hard. One cleat was literally ripped off the deck and slung across the dock. But it took the boat being raised almost 2 feet and slammed down to cause it to break loose.

That being said. Screwed down installation of bollards and cleats have been the standard of time. It is hard to pull one out since most of the force is lateral anyway.

Just be sure to right size screw and seal it in to prevent wood rot from water seepage.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Return to “Fasteners”