what length raptor fastener for plywood hull and siding

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Brian

Re: what length raptor fastener for plywood hull and siding

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:33 pm

I am having EXACTLY the sam experience as Russell, which makes me feel MUCH better that I am not doing anything wrong. In fact, I am also using 9/16 staples through 1/4" ply into Spruce, so we are on the same page.

i think the above responds to Roberta's questions. I'm aware of the void issue, and that's not it. In fact, I have been clamping the pieces down first and then trying to get a staple into it, with the results described by Russell. Because of the Raptor failures, it was no use. The result has been that I can only do one plank on one side per half day, since the glue has to harden before I can take the clamps off to move on.

Now I am done with the first bottom layer and ready to start on the sides. It would be super helpful if the Raptor worked reliably. For now, I'm wondering what I spent $200+ for. I need to sort this out before I get to the Sapele, where there will be no room for error….or filler! I have also tested the 3/8", which is what I plan to use for subsequent layers, but they will barely hold anything through 1/4" ply and jam the gun at about the same rate.

For Kyle at Raptor: You have not soaked to me before, and Gayle has told me to expect your call for the last 3 days. I sent her a photo of the results of my stapling and she was shocked. I would like you to send me another stapler, to see if mine is defective. Otherwise I will be unable to continue while I wait for your evaluation. It seems to me, with two of us having exactly the same problem, you have a problem. I suspect there are many more out there who are not following this thread, or who think that's just the way it is.

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:58 am

For Russell and anyone else having Raptor problems:

Gayle got them to send me a new tool and it seems to be working well. However, I'm still withholding judgment, since as I'm using it (been through about 30 staples so far) it seems to be reverting little by little to the same malfunction. For now, satisfactory, but still some jams. At least I can rely on it most of the time.

Brian

Postby Brian » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:01 am

Also, I've posted a video of the malfunction to dropbox. Here are the links: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/624 ... G_1156.MOV
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/624 ... G_1155.MOV

russell

Postby russell » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:59 am

Brian, the last I talked to Raptor, they asked me to raise the air pressure from about 70# upwards, I did and seems to resolve the jamming, the downside, the staple countersinks into the ply more than I want but at least not jamming. I haven't tried 9/16 lately. 3/8 is working a little better.

Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:34 pm

I wonder if my pressure is off. I have been going by the gage on the compressor, but the air goes through a long pipe, then through about 50' of air hose. My high school physics are not telling me whether this might result in lower pressure at the tool end. However, I do notice that it is almost never the first staple that goes bad. So maybe the first one takes the pressure down, then the second one starts to jam and by the third one, it is jammed. I have had the compressor pressure at about 75-80, although I have tried it higher. Maybe I should try something like 110.

russell

Postby russell » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:52 am

Brian, I use a compact comressor and 25 foot air line, I am now setting the pressure at 75# and the gun is working fine. With that in mind, I always shoot the first staple into a piece of scrap wood and then recheck the pressure, the buildup of the line pressure when the tool in first connected changes when the first staple is shot, the line pressure sometimes drops to 55# I readjust the pressure to 75# works good from then on. I also add about 6 drops of oil to the gun each day before use.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:00 am

I always used 90 psi for all staple lengths. Had very few problems. Mostly a piece of staple jammed in the slide preventing it from retracting. I would say this only happened once or twice a session (600-700 staples) and was easily remedied by pushing the slide back in and clearing the stapler with a few ops without staples.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:27 am

This may have been my problem. What I didn't realize was that the long run from my compressor to the tool (both pipe and hose) was not delivering the same pressure to the tool as indicated on the compressor. I think every time I shot a staple, the pressure went down until it was not enough and the jams would increase. Plus, the compressor has a turn-on pressure that allows the pressure to drop until it comes back on. Anyway, I increased the pressure to about 110 on the compressor and have had better results.

Question: For the mahogany, do you use the brown Raptor staples? Gayle says the white ones will take the stain, but I have my doubts. Plus, I wasn't planning on staining (necessary?). Roberta, have you experimented with the staples in mahogany and what they look like sanded and finished?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Yup!! Long lines will cause a pressure drop. I only used the staples on the double diagonal plywood which is getting painted so I really have no experience with staining or how they look on a bright side finish. I wood think the white ones would stain using the filler stains.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Oddbjorn

Postby Oddbjorn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:01 pm

I am building a 25,5 foot sailing boat, Bolger design. The hull sides, among other items is 1/2" plywood. I am using 12 mm Gaboon (Ocoume) marine plywood. The stingers are local Norwegian spruce. I will use Epoxy glue an intend to fasten the sheets with Raptor nails, and i hope that 1" nails will be long enough. I hope this wil be a quicker methode than using sheet rock screws and removing them afterwards. The boat, a modern sharpie, have rather soft curves, i think. Do you think this will work or am I off on a wrong track? Thank you.

Brian

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:11 pm

On my boat, 1" Raptor nails would have been of little help. I did use a lot of bronze ring nails into the frames, and there were times when it would have been helpful to have been able to shoot them in. But I wouldn't have bothered with Raptor for that.

I bought the stapler for holding onto the battens, and then for the subsequent layers. So far, they have been of little help because of the gun malfunction. I'm using 9/16" staples through 1/4" ply into spruce. The nails I used were 1", but I only used them into the frames. Where I needed them into battens, I drove them at an angle so they wouldn't poke through. But if you are going to paint the inside, even that wouldn't matter. Ring nails definitely hold!

Oddbjorn

Postby Oddbjorn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:48 pm

Composit nails, to me, seemed to be a way of avoiding the double work of screwing an removing the screws afterwards. I did not think of bronze ring nails, which also can stay in the hull. Based on several of the postings in this thread it is also good thing that a hammer never stops working. I have so far not have had any trouble with the Omer 17.55P, but I hate to think about it stop working in the midle of a glue job. May be one should have some ring nails just in case.

I have built a plywood sailing dinghy many years ago. At that time brass screws with straight slot was the only option in my area. I need something better than that, but it is difficult to decide before trying it in the real. Bronze screws can also stay in the boat - but that discussion is probably in an other thread.

Return to “Fasteners”