what length raptor fastener for plywood hull and siding

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Jimbob

what length raptor fastener for plywood hull and siding

Postby Jimbob » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 am

Thinking about using raptor fasteners for the 1/8 plywood strips for the hull and sides. What length? 7/16"?

Thanks,

Jim Neeley
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

jamundsen

Re: what length raptor fastener for plywood hull and siding

Postby jamundsen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:19 pm

The first layer will be attached to the battens and frames so 7/16 works well for those.
The next layer you will want 1/4 inch wherever the frames and battens are not. If you use the longer ones you will punch thru the plywood. They break off pretty easy but leave ugly places and potential water ingress locations if you don't seal the inside well. The third layer should not cause any issues.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks John,

I was thinking about using the raptor brad nails, but since they don't go down to 1/4" I guess I'll have to go with staples. Maybe even both brads and staples. Make any sense to you?

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:41 pm

I didn't use the brads but some of the guys have and reported good results. The only reason I know about the longer staples punching thru is because mine did. The 1/4 inch staples didn't work great on sharp curved areas.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 am

Jim, I'm also about to begin planking, and am wondering about Raptor. For the first layer of 1/4", a 7/16" staple seems right. But for the subsequent 1/4" layers, why would you use 1/4" staples? Seems obvious why you found out "The 1/4 inch staples didn't work great on sharp curved areas." I'm surprised they worked at all!

It seems like 7/16" staples would work for every layer. When bonding one 1/4" piece to the layer below it, there is 1/2" of plywood to go through. 7/16" should be perfect.

Typo, or something I don't understand?

Brian
Monte Carlo stretched to 28'

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:52 am

I'd use 5/8" brads. But, that maybe because that is the smallest ones my PC gun will shoot. :roll: :roll: :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

slug

Postby slug » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:28 am

Keep in mind that if you buy the Raptor staples, you are commiting to the
Raptor marketed gun at over $200! They are heavier guage than regular steel staples and won't fit in a regular 1/2" crown stapler, unfortunately.

Doug

Brian

Postby Brian » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:31 pm

Bill, I addressed this to you because your post said you didn't use brads, but used staples. Did you use Raptor staples? How long? Air pressure to use?

Slug, thanks for the warning. I got a quote from Gayle on the gun. Just trying to decide on the staple length to use. Yes, it's costly, but sounds like the best solution. In the scope of things, it's not much. When I'm through, I'll put it up for sale for others to use.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Brian

I didn't use Raptor on the Tahoe. It was before I knew about them. I used 5/8 galvanized brads. I wish I had known about Raptor. Cutting the brads off and sealing the damage when I missed the frame or battens was a PITA!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:49 pm

I picked up the Omer 81P when Gayle had the Thank You sale in December. Saved 15% on it along with some other goodies. I bought the 1/4" staples, but they are about 7/32" in grip length. Should be fine for the 3mm plywood I'll be fastening, but I'm going to order 5000 of the 3/8" for going into the framing on the first layer. Let you know next month sometime how it is working out.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 am

Thanks, Roberta. It doesn't seem like we should be experimenting with this stuff. I mean, you say, "I'll let you know how it is working out." Yikes! You are going to put a plank down with glue and hope it works out? What if the staples don't hold? Huge job ripping it all off again and starting over. There must be someone who can define the correct Raptor staple for each use. With Glen-L recommending and supplying, I'm surprised they don't have a recommendation (I have asked).

That said, for the first layer to the frames & battens, 5/8" sounds like it should be fine through 1/4" ply. For the layers, I would think 1/2" or 7/16". I saw a posting somewhere that said they went through too far, but I think you probably have to play with the pressure to get it just right. Looking forward to your experience!

Brian

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:25 am

I think what you are using for 1/4" ply will be fine. The ply I am using is 3mm, slightly less than 1/8". I think the 3/8" and 1/4" staples will be fine for me. The lumber yard where I bought my wood used Raptor staples to secure the red flags on my long boards. I could not pull them out. The literally fuse themselves in the wood like a glue bond. But I will test the holding power on 3mm ply before I actually start planking the boat. Please give me a little credit. I did not say I was going to hope they work.

Roberta :D

Joris

Postby Joris » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:15 pm

I'm using the 81P with 3/8" staples on 4mm Okoume. No problems so far.
Joris

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:43 pm

I found another great use for Raptors. You can put two pieces together and make the exact same angle cutting both at the same time. Then a sharp side strike with a mallet will shear the raptors.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:29 pm

I definitely will use 3/8" into the framing on the first layer. I just do not want the staples holding the second layer to blast through the first layer and leave splintery blow outs. I plan on trying to staple some more severe bends and experiment without epoxy to make sure the 1/4" raptors will properly hold. If not, I'll switch to using all 3/8" and try to keep over the framing and longitudinals. I will be planking with 3mm Okoume.

Roberta :D :D

Return to “Fasteners”