Centerboard pivot pin

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Kelsey

Centerboard pivot pin

Post by Kelsey » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:01 am

Hi everyone, I'm just getting ready to assemble the centerboard trunk on my Glen L 15. If I drill the pivot pin hole after I assemble how do I properly seal the hole before the pin goes in? Does anyone have a pic of the pin hardware Glen L sells? I have a few ideas. Any help on this would be appreciated. First time boat builder here.

rbrandenstein

Re: Centerboard pivot pin

Post by rbrandenstein » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Two ideas.
One, you could drill out larger and fill with thickened epoxy and then drill the correct size in the epoxy.
Two, which is what I did for a few bolt holes in my transom, is use a Q-tip to saturate the hole with epoxy. Repeat and then re-drill to the correct size. I figured most of the ply around the hole would be saturated.

Kelsey

Post by Kelsey » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:57 am

IMG_0864.jpg
thanks, this is what I came up with. I went to a welding shop and got some scrap aluminium. I made a sleeve and cut a piece of the rod to make an end cap. It fits really tight. The hole i drilled was slightly bigger. I was quite liberal with the epoxy. I epoxied washers to the centerboard trunk. Ill do the same with the Centerboard itself. I know things wear out over time. Ill just keep an eye on it. I really never seen one before and I needed to get it done. I think it will work

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:34 pm

Not sure what you have there so I have made a drawing to explain how the pivot pin was made for my 25. The idea is to compress a bushing which rides on an axle pin. What you do not want to do is compress the wood against itself or the centre board. So looking at the drawing from left to right, Bolt, washer, axle pin, centreboard trunk, plastic plate, washer, bronze bushing, centreboard and so on. When the bolts (blue) are tightened, this pushes everything, except the pin and the centre board, against the bronze bushing (red). This locks everything and some silicon can be used to seal it. I also drill for a grease fitting in the bolt so I can lubricate it. The centre board rovolves around the bushing, the bronze bushing does not turn, the pin does not turn. The plastic is to take up alignment and the metal washer is to prevent the plastic from wearing. Hope that helps.

Stuart