silicone bronze coated screws

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

mikno

silicone bronze coated screws

Postby mikno » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:13 am

I have built the hull and deck with silicone bronze screws. Now I am working on the interior like the cabin. I was wondering if anybody tested silicone bronze coated deck screws. They are much harder and easier to work into white oak because they have a steel core. I was planning to cover them with epoxy. Any good or bad experience or thoughts on durability?

rbrandenstein

Re: silicone bronze coated screws

Postby rbrandenstein » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 am

I don't think I'd risk it.
I agree the SB into white oak is a challenge. What I found works well is to pre-drill. I used two straight bits.. one for the threads and larger one for the collar. (The tapered bits I had did not work well.) Then, I used steel screws to attach the piece. I then backed out the steel screw and replaced with the SB. The steel screws did the work of pre-forming the hole so there was less stress on the softer SB screws.

chugalug

Re: silicone bronze coated screws

Postby chugalug » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:53 pm

:D Ask me again in a few years;I used quite a few in my hull.didn't use power driver tho,didn't want to break them off.used t-handle and put them in by hand,tried not to strip out.also wouldn't grind off stick-tru as it would expose steel core to rust.Also read that the combo of steel and bronze might corrode in salt-water environment.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Fasteners”