Frearson vs. Square Drive Poll

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Do you prefer Frearson or Square Drive Silicon Bronze Screws?

Poll ended at Thu May 12, 2016 11:42 am

Frearson
23%
Square Drive
77%

Total votes: 13

Gayle Brantuk

Frearson vs. Square Drive Poll

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Thu May 05, 2016 11:42 am

Because of this recent topic, I'd like to know which type of silicon bronze wood screws you prefer. If Frearson & Square Drive are the same price for Silicon Bronze Wood Screws, which do you prefer? Please answer by taking the poll above. Thank you so much for your feedback! We want to provide products that make life easier for you.

tcough

Re: Frearson vs. Square Drive Poll

Postby tcough » Thu May 05, 2016 12:35 pm

I have not used square drive SB screws, only the frearson SB while building the Flats Flyer. I have used the square drive screws (stainless) and liked how they drive better. I stripped a lot of frearson screws while driving into pine/fir, but I never stripped a square drive, even in red oak. I would pay a little more to get square drive in SB screws, once I used up my supply of frearson screws....
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu May 05, 2016 12:59 pm

If hidden, the square drive might be more desirable. If out in the open, then I like frearson.I have not had a lot of issues with the frearson as long as I used the correct bit, drilled the correct pilot hole, and set the correct torque on the driver.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu May 05, 2016 2:13 pm

I haven't tried square-drive yet, so I don't think I should participate in the poll....but I've come to dislike Frearson quite a bit, so by contrast, I can't imagine square-drive being worse.

From what I can tell, Frearson bits just don't fully seat in the screw head deeply enough irrespective of the step angle. Maybe the screws I'm driving (mostly #8 & #10) need a different size bit than the one I bought (like, for example, a #2 Philips vs. a #1 Philips, etc.), but with the screws & driver that I have, the engagement just isn't right. If the engagement of my bit to my screws were better / right, maybe I wouldn't be ripping out heads.

And, really, all you need to do is hold a bit & a screw together and it's easy to see that these just don't engage completely.

I'm ordering some square-drive tonight....we'll see if they drive better.

If I'm allowed to dream, torx would be the absolute best!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu May 05, 2016 2:33 pm

A #10 screw really needs a # 3 frearson bit. I have used the # 3 bit on # 8 screws.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu May 05, 2016 3:51 pm

Interesting...

My bit says "FAJRA F-2" on it. I guess that's a "2", right?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu May 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Yup.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu May 05, 2016 4:12 pm

With absolutely no disrespect intended towards Glen-L, I bought their 3-bit pack.....and that was the only size offered / included.

Would the problems go away if a different bit were available?

My boat build is my first venture into the world of Frearson, so I'm in uncharted waters, so-to-speak

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu May 05, 2016 5:03 pm

Maybe Gayle can add the # 3 bit to their catalog. Most problems I had were when I didn't drill the correct pilot hole. You need to use tapered drill bits with a counter sink stop set to the length of the screw. Some builders like to use soap to ease the screw in. It also helps to keep the torque set so you don't over power stripping or breaking the screw. It also helps to keep the driver square on the screw.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu May 05, 2016 6:04 pm

Tapered bit with a countersink stop?

(and to think I thought I owned every tool known to man!)

Can you post a link to such drillbits?

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Thu May 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Any Home Depot or Rockler store has them. Just ask.

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Fri May 06, 2016 8:06 am

Did not have any problems with frearson bits nor SB screws, pre drilled going into white oak. I think I have at least 80lbs of screws in my boat. :)
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri May 06, 2016 9:56 am

I have tried a tapered bit with a countersink specially made for #8 screws. An expensive name brand one. I was not happy with the results using SB screws. They would frequently break just above the threads. Now I am using straight drill bits to drill the pilot, shank clearance, and then a countersink bit when needed as outlined in the Glen-L books and have almost eliminated the problems I was having. I also no longer use the Frearson bits that I bought and have gotten away with using Phillips. I do have the larger Frearson bit that fits better in a #8 screw but it will not chuck into an impact driver. I think square drive would be better but I have already bought "all" the screws for my build.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri May 06, 2016 10:57 am

I really appreciate the feedback. We'll check into getting the #3 Frearson bits also. No disrespect taken, Mark! Your feedback is very valuable to us--don't hesitate to email me with any issues or problems...

Ozzieboat

Postby Ozzieboat » Fri May 06, 2016 9:41 pm

I had no problems with Frearson heads when using the correct pilot drill to the correct depth and driven using Glen-l bits installed in a hand screw driver or speed brace.
The bits need to be replaced occasionally as they do wear more than expected. I am not a fan of cordless drills, every time you turn on a home improvement show either a professional or amateur is stripping the guts out of a screw with a cordless drill.

Return to “Fasteners”