Elmers Waterproof Wood GLue Max vs epoxy

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

flzip

Elmers Waterproof Wood GLue Max vs epoxy

Postby flzip » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi all,

I'm just about to start a build of the Zip. I am planning on using Elmer's Carpenters Wood Glue Max instead of epoxy. Is that a good idea? Supposed to be stronger than wood, heat resistant, sandable and paintable.

steveh41

Re: Elmers Waterproof Wood GLue Max vs epoxy

Postby steveh41 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Flzip,

I don't have direct experience with Elmer's Glue Max, but it is rated waterproof to ANSI Type 1 standards which is pretty stringent (somewhat similar to the BS 1088 rating for plywood) so should be satisfactory for marine applications. I'm guessing the gap filling capability would not be as good as epoxy and joint fit would be more demanding. Otherwise, can't see any reason not to try it. You might want to make some test joints with the wood you're using for the build.

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

flzip

Postby flzip » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of going with cedar for a lot of it. Read both good and bad about that wood but it seems to be more affordable.

kens

Postby kens » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:38 pm

I'm building a stripper canoe with TiteBond II.
I tested a small piece with steam heat and it held up.
FWIW
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

galamb

Postby galamb » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:33 pm

I have built a stripper canoe with "carpenters glue".

One of the books recommended by the guys at West System for building strippers shows all the builds with "wood glue", although, of course, West System suggests that epoxy is better.

I would suggest that if you are using wood glue instead of epoxy then you "must" also adhere to the "fastener schedule" in the plans. One of the benefits of epoxy is that you could pretty much "forego" using fasteners at all in about 95% of your build.

I built my 26 footer with epoxy AND fasteners according to the plans despite the claims from West System that it was "good enough" all by itself. But after having completed that build, if I ever undertake another one, I now have enough trust in the epoxy alone. So at the end of the day I suspect that using wood glue plus silicon-bronze or stainless fasteners would cost almost the same as epoxy alone with minimal fastener use...
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:59 pm

Enjoy your build. Its a great experience.

Epoxy is so forgiving it gives an amateur like myself a lot of confidence and Im used to using it. The great thing about this process is that you can use what you know and are comfortable with to do it your way.

Return to “Fasteners”