Polishing stainless screws

What kind, options, etc.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Jimbob

Polishing stainless screws

Postby Jimbob » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Here's a tip. Might be a little thing, but I thought I would pass it on.
When I got my rub rails, the guy that made them for me suggested polishing the stainless steel screws that would attach the rails to the hull. Stainless steel screws are also used the attach the deck hardware. When you get the screws, they are somewhat dull. About twenty seconds on a buffer with polishing compound will make them look like chrome. I drilled holes in a scrap, screwed 5 screws in part way and went to the buffer. I did all of the boxes of screws that I had at once. (Something to do while you are waiting for the epoxy or varnish to dry.)
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Re: Polishing stainless screws

Postby mrintense » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:22 am

Good tip Jim, thanks for posting.

It's funny, in the Navy I was an aircraft structural mechanic (i.e. metalsmith) and had plenty of experience working with stainless, aluminum, and what not. But I have very few actual metal working tools in my garage and have never learned to weld, although I would like to. A bench top grinder with polishing wheel is another item I never got. Again, I'd like to have one.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

Hi Carl,
I got mine at Harbor Freight they are around 40 bucks. More room to maneuver than a buffer wheel on a grinder.
Jim
Attachments
20170603_120628.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:57 pm

Funny thing Carl, I was a civilian shipfitter at a Naval Shipyard for let's just say a very long time and I too have very few metalworking tools... Work versus hobby thing? I work as a government rep overseeing new construction at a private shipyard and many times have had to resist the temptation when I see a shipfitter at work to take his tool and show him how to do it better :lol:
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:16 pm

The biggest challenge I face is an absolute lack of remaining space in my garage. It's about the most efficiently set up now that it has ever been, but I still have to move things outside in many cases in order to work. My normal workbench is one of those folding resin tables that I have to set up every time I want to do anything requiring any amount of room.

Guess I just need to hurry up and get the boat out of the garage! :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:56 pm

PeterG wrote:I work as a government rep overseeing new construction at a private shipyard and many times have had to resist the temptation when I see a shipfitter at work to take his tool and show him how to do it better :lol:

You can be honest Peter... as I am currently working in the marine industry as well, true shipfitters are few and far between. With the work-packs and 3-D output erection drawings they are as we lovingly call them "ship-putter-togetherers". :roll:
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Yeah, it's surprising sometimes at the lack of skill nowadays, I went through a four year shipfitter apprenticeship. Also learned much from some 35 and 40 year craftsmen that had built subs in WWII so tribal knowledge was plenty and deep then. Passing it on was the trick, some people don't want simple old school ways, they want to learn only enough and push buttons to get it done.
Sorry, I'm ranting.
So let's polish those screws!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Fasteners”