Quanity Questions

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Thompson

Quanity Questions

Postby Thompson » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:43 pm

I'm getting close to being able to start painting. I'm building the Malahini. The whole exterior of the hull will be painted. The bottom one color the sides another with a stripe separating the two. How much primer and paint for each. I plan on using the System 3 WR-LPU. Two to three coats of primer and four to five coats of finish and several coats of clear. Thanks
Lyman

PeterG

Re: Quanity Questions

Postby PeterG » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi Lyman, you can estimate the amount of paint required by figuring the square feet of area to be painted and looking at the coverage recommended by the paint manufacturer. A ballpark figure if you are painting the entire Malahini inside and out I estimated would be about 500 square feet surface area, inside and out. So for instance, if a gallon covers 400 sq ft, you would need a gallon and a quart or five quarts per coat. That coverage may vary by application method, whether spray or brush/roller, the label should have that info. Bob Brandenstein and Matt (hercdrvr) will probably have a better handle on what quantity you need. Good luck!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:58 am

Are you rolling or spraying? Rolling will use more material. I sprayed probably 1/2 gallon of high build primer, little less than 1/2 gallon blue,1/2 gallon red and a pint of white.
Pictures make it look better than it really is, it's no new Mercedes paint job.
Matt B

Thompson

Postby Thompson » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:25 pm

I have a hvlp sprayer. I've sprayed oil base enamel before with descent results. Don't know how different this would be to spray. I guess i could find out, spraying primer first. If everthing goes wrong i can always sand it off. Of course at $45 a quart that could get pricey.

Matt was that 1/2 gallon per coat.
Thanks

Return to “Painting”