Primer for wr-lpu paint.

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

DrBryanJ

Primer for wr-lpu paint.

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:06 pm

I want to order my paint and primer. I am going to use wr-lpu. Do I have to use the System three yacht primer or can I use a high build primer that is not waterborne? The yacht primer covers 200 - 250 square feet per gallon. The area I have to paint is about 100 square feet (15 x 7). That gives me two coats of primer. The literature says if sanding I should use three coats. That's 2 gallons at $105 per gallon. What have others experienced? If I use a different high build primer, it usually needs only 2 coats, so can get by with 1 gallon.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

ashespap

Re: Primer for wr-lpu paint.

Postby ashespap » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi Bryan:
I would think that a gallon of primer is more than enough on the Malahini, especially if you spray it. Since I was spraying wr-lpu over System Three epoxy, I didn't need the primer to give my paint bite. I also wasn't intending to use it in the areas where my craftsmanship was less than top notch (plenty of those areas on my hull, LOL!). So I decided to spray a couple of light coats to just cover everything prior to spraying the paint. I used 1 quart and I was able to get everything covered. In hindsight, I probably should have sprayed a second quart, but the paint is laying down nicely and so I don't believe I did any harm by not going thicker on the primer. I am making sure I build some thickness in the paint though. All this just to say IMHO, a gallon should be enough. Bob

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:31 am

Thanks for your reply Bob. I will be rolling and tipping since I don't know how to spray and I don't have the equipment. Now I just have to make a final decision on color.
Bryan

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:06 am

Hi Bryan,

I used the System 3 Yacht Primer on my Squirt, and rolled and tipped on 5 coats using less than a quart. I was only putting color below the waterline. If you are going with red, definitely put down primer first since reds are very transparent and you need an even color underneath them. From my experience with painting, not much, rolling and tipping will go further than spraying. I recommend you mix up enough primer for 2 or 3 coats, and wrap the roller in plastic wrap between coats. You waste less by not having to load up the roller for each coat. Thin it as recommended, or a bit more, and if you have humidifier add some moisture to the air (or use a spray bottle filled with water and wet down the area).

Here's a link to my original post on the primer: http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30104&p=187398&hilit=primer#p187398
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:05 am

I totally agree with JimmY. Thin the primer as directed, apply in thin coats, Make sure the humidty is high for all the WR-LPU coatings. I do not like to mix different manufacturers products. Some may not be as compatible. System Three Yacht primer and the WR-LPU coatings are very tough and will hold up well if applied correctly.

If you haven't yet, read the System Three Epoxy Book: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1000/ ... 1865784556

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks JimmY and Roberta. JimmY I remember reading your original post, but I will go back and review it again. Roberta, I will read the System Three book
Bryan

Return to “Painting”