Problems with a dark paint color on hull?

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Tom J

Problems with a dark paint color on hull?

Postby Tom J » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:47 am

I'm getting ready to fiberglass and then paint my plywood hull after deciding the putty fill holes and ply joints will expose my "basic" knowledge of plywood boat building if I leave it bright. I used a water based stain thinking it would hide those marks but it actually made it look worse. So, while reading the System Three Epoxy book (p 18-19) they suggest any color as long as it is light. They state that dark colors will heat up the hull in summer sun to the point of having the weave of the fiberglass "print through" as well as shrinkage of putty. After admiring many different wood boats, many of which have dark painted hulls, I am wondering what the experience of others has been with any problems with a black or dark blue hull.
Tom J
currently building the Malahini

Bill Edmundson

Re: Problems with a dark paint color on hull?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:42 am

Tom

On my Tahoe, finished bright, I have noticed some print through. It says under cover most of the time. It was finished in 2008. I think epoxy shrinks over time. Excess heat probably speeds up that process.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Postby billy c » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 am

Yes you will have problems with dark stains or colors. Epoxy will soften enough to allow the cloth to show the weave. Not immediately but a few seasons in. I have a few natural light finished kayaks in cedar and never a problem.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:03 am

I'm keeping tabs on this discussion... I planned on a dark blue hull with red mahogany deck for my Malahini. May have to rethink the color? That or plan on dealing with print through at later refinishing.
Last edited by PeterG on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 am

:D I'm trying a hunter green hull using latex house paint.might have change to yellow so I might have a "Yellow submarine" :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Painting”