Tinting VC Performance Epoxy Paint

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Tom J

Tinting VC Performance Epoxy Paint

Postby Tom J » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:07 am

In a thread somewhere in here I read that someone said they had tinted Interlux VC Performance Epoxy (which is only sold in white). I want more of a cream color if that's possible for the bottom of my Malahini. The Interlux people do not recommend adding anything to their product. Does anyone here have experience with doing this? If so, how did it turn out? What type of tinting was used? (paint, gel coat, stain?) And / or brand name of pigment if possible. I have very much appreciated so many of you on this forum and the amount of experience and knowledge therein. (when I searched this type of paint I came up with hundreds of postings and have spent hours going through them with no luck)...
Tom J
currently building the Malahini

DrBryanJ

Re: Tinting VC Performance Epoxy Paint

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:53 am

Tom: I think Bill Edmundson mentioned tinting Interlux at Sherwin Williams. I don't know the details. I have been using WR-LPU from system 3. It goes on nicely and they have a cream color. Only problem is it is not really a bottom paint and can not stay submerged for long periods of time.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:48 am

I have heard that SW can tint VC. I have not done it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tom J

Postby Tom J » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 am

Thank you both! I will check out the local SW dealer to see what they could do. I guess my main concern is if tinting the stuff will compromise its bonding ability and wear. Given that the stuff comes in white I'll test a sample with the color charts SW uses and see how it looks. I've heard good things about the WR-LPU and given that this boat will be trailered I might go with that. Its also a little bit cheaper. I do like the idea though of a bottom paint that will hold up for years and have heard from others that the VC Performance does that. I've scrapped down and painted enough old fishing boats over the years that I would not look forward to doing that every few years on a non-dry docked runabout.
Tom J
currently building the Malahini

Return to “Painting”