Question For Graham (Or Anyone) - Garage Floor Paint

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

HouTexBBC

Question For Graham (Or Anyone) - Garage Floor Paint

Post by HouTexBBC » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:59 pm

I am building the Tiny Titan and I am to the point where I need to paint the inside. I will use nicer paint on the exterior but was thinking of something a little cheaper yet durable for the inside. In a post a while back you mentioned using garage floor paint for that purpose. I went to the building supply place near my home and found two kinds of epoxy garage floor paint. One is made by BEHR and is a 1-part epoxy acrylic, the other was a "water-based" 2-part epoxy. Both professed to do essentially the same thing. Are either of these the type of product you used? Or would you recommend either?

The BEHR product can be mixed with 40 different color pigments which I thought was cool.

Also, these seem to be made to soak into the pourous surface of concrete, so will they stick well to epoxy? And finally, would you suggest a primer?

Thanks,
Dennis

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:18 am

Here's the description of the stuff I use
Polyurethane Alkyd resins. Tough, durable hard wearing floor paint for use on most concrete and wooden floors in garages, warehouses, workshops and factories. Frigate Grey BS 18B21.
This description is very similar to that of "proper" marine bilge paint at several times the price.

It's a single part paint, use straight from the can, and so far it's holding up very well over the epoxy. I painted two coats of epoxy resin on the interior of my boat, I didn't sand either of them, just left it rough. Then I slapped on a couple of thick coats of floor paint which smoothed everything out. I guess the rough surface helps the paint to grip, I don't know what it'd be like over smooth sanded epoxy.

I'd imagine epoxy floor paint would work OK, epoxy products are generally very hardwearing and stick to other epoxies well.
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

DavidMcA

Post by DavidMcA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:13 pm

I used International's garage floor paint on mine. I put 3 coats of epoxy on first, then sanded the last coat before putting on some coats (can't remember how many) of floor paint. I remember that it took several days before the paint was what I would call "durable" but after that, its hard as nails, hasn't chipped or flaked at all, even with me jumping in and out with my boots on all the time
David McAdam
Squirt Gallery - Its BACK!!
http://one.xthost.info/boatbuilder/boat/
BOAT IS NOW SOLD

HouTexBBC

Post by HouTexBBC » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:20 pm

Thanks Graham and David for the info. It sounds like more than one of these products will do the job. I may go with the 1-part epoxy as it was only $25 per gallon. I also found an interesting product while searching the web. Its called Durabak http://www.durabakcompany.com/index.htm but at $120 per gallon plus $15 shipping I think I may pass on that.

I have built two boats in the last few years but they were both utility type boats and paint was not a big deal. On the Titan I want to do as nice an exterior paint job as I can so I will spend the money there. And I am sure I will inundate this forum with questions.

Dennis

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Dennis, did you use the product from Behr? I've been looking at that product myself and was wondering how it would work.

DavidMcA

Post by DavidMcA » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Just an update to say that the International Floor Paint has still held up perfectly on top of the epoxy, 2 years on! When I wash it down, its good as new, hasn't chipped at all.
David McAdam
Squirt Gallery - Its BACK!!
http://one.xthost.info/boatbuilder/boat/
BOAT IS NOW SOLD

HouTexBBC

Post by HouTexBBC » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:06 pm

novass wrote:Dennis, did you use the product from Behr? I've been looking at that product myself and was wondering how it would work.
Yes I did and it has worked out fine. What I like about it is that it can be painted on with a brush just like regular paint. It has the same consistency as, say house paint so its very easy to work with.

My guess is that the BEHR 1-part may be less durable than the 2-part epoxy garage paint, but like I said, it has worked out fine for me.

FYI - On a different boat I used the 2-part epoxy garage paint and it cannot be put on with a brush, it is just like epoxy and has to be rolled on.

Dennis

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:58 am

thanks for the info. :)

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:12 am

how much paint do you guys think a 15' boat like the rebel would take to paint the entire interior of the hull?

1 gallon, 2 gallons, 3 gallons or?

Gravel

Post by Gravel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:21 pm

Novas,

I've just finished painting the Rebel and used about 10 litres of high build primer (2.5 gallons) and about 6 litres of top coat (1.5 gallons). Both are 2pac so the quantity is mixed.

This amount of paint covered the bottom, sides, deck, inner coaming and dash.

Another factor to consider is that i left the epoxy fairly rough and did the majority of finish sanding on the primer, therefore using more and really packing it on.

For the interior i have bought a 4 litre (1 gallon) can to start with. Let you know how i go.

Gravel

HouTexBBC

Post by HouTexBBC » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:07 pm

novass wrote:how much paint do you guys think a 15' boat like the rebel would take to paint the entire interior of the hull?

1 gallon, 2 gallons, 3 gallons or?
1 to 2 I would think.

Nidorud

Re: Question For Graham (Or Anyone) - Garage Floor Paint

Post by Nidorud » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:48 am

I understand that I was a little late for the party, but...

I have a 30 x 40 shop and I have it floored in RaceDeck. My shop is climate controlled so it's not usually an issue, but if I do alot of work in the shop in the summer with the garage doors open, the tiles in direct sunlight in the hot NC summer will expand to the point where the whole floor bows. This is even with the mandated gap at all walls.

I did not get the ventilated tiles. Mine are solid with a diamond pattern. The tiles snap together so tightly that no fluid gets to the floor underneath. I have sprayed the floor with the hose, mopped, spilled--you name it. The stuff is just too tightly bound together to let anything through.

Finally, the only other drawback that I can think of is that you will develop one hell of a static charge when you walk across RaceDeck. Depending on the weather conditions, I have been shocked--sometimes a little painfully--when I finally touch something and ground myself. It happens less now than when the floor was new a few years ago. Just be aware.

Overall, I love the stuff and people who see it for the first time think it looks amazing.