Line-X

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Hoffer

Line-X

Post by Hoffer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 pm

When my boat is skinned I am going to Line-X the whole boat, not sure if it has ever been done before?
After talking to my local dealer I have found there is a wide range of uses for this product, he says it bonds extremely well to wood.Water proof and Abrasion resistance is increadable, from experience it is all most bullet proof.
For me this means no epoxy sealing, fiberglass application then finally paint,everything done in one step.
Has anyone tried this before?
My boat is a more modern design, 12' cat/tunnel hull.

sproggy

Re: Line-X

Post by sproggy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 am

You can paint a boat with any coating that can be brushed, rolled or sprayed. But should you? That's an entirely different question. I expect you will find Line-X to be heavy as it probably goes on thick. It will add a waterproof/abrasion-resistant coating but it won't add any stiffness or strength - it won't make the difference between you being able to stand on a 1/4" ply panel or not. You're unlikely to be able to alter the finish (level it, polish it etc) once it is applied and it probably doesn't go on as smooth as would be ideal on a high speed hull. There are good reasons why epoxy is a commonly used product in boat builds and Line-X isn't - just like there are good reasons why Line-X is used as a bed liner but epoxy isn't! But it's your boat and you're clearly going your own way in many respects so why not with the finish? Bear in mind, though, that while the coating may be "bullet proof" it won't transfer those properties to the boat it's applied to. And once it's on it's unlikely you'll be able to change your mind about it and use a more conventional finish.

Hoffer

Post by Hoffer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:38 pm

There are some really good exparements on the Line-X website that show the strength of this stuff, it is a protective coating. I will be having some test samples done, the new ultra coating is supposedly way less textured. As far as weight goes it will add less than 70 lbs at 1/8" thick, the ultra can be applied thiner. I do appreciate all opinions and constructive criticism, the plan may change as the build goes on.

Hoffer

Post by Hoffer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Here are some pictures.
Attachments
20181212_101612.jpg
20181223_182002.jpg
20190104_143425.jpg