Garage floor paint recommendations

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Rainimal

Garage floor paint recommendations

Post by Rainimal » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:48 am

I'm looking for a one-step, easy to apply garage floor coating to hide old paint and stain spills, ground in dirt, etc. I'd like something that I can apply with a roller. I see Behr makes a garage floor one part epoxy paint (mixed reviews) but I don't know if that's the best option. I'm not looking for a fancy speckled finish, just plain battleship gray would do. Any recommendations?

Thank you.

hoodman

Re: Garage floor paint recommendations

Post by hoodman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:27 pm

There's nothing that you are just going to be able to slap on with only minimal prep that's really going to last. Prep is the key to any coating system.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:57 am

I’m coating my garage floor with epoxy one drip at a time.
Matt B

Biss

Post by Biss » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:35 am

Sherwin Williams has some pretty good epoxy floor coatings. I would stop in at one of there stores and ask for recommendations. Our local store has some really knowledgeable people that always seem to help me select the correct product.

Biss

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:25 am

hoodman wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:27 pm
There's nothing that you are just going to be able to slap on with only minimal prep that's really going to last. Prep is the key to any coating system.
I thought that too. But two years ago I painted my rough, oil-stained garage floor with this stuff after nothing more than a good vacuum:

https://leylandtrade.com/products/speci ... -(Colours)

It's still holding up. The only thing that has damaged it is pulling motorcycles up onto their centre stand, where the edges of the centre stand feet are sharp - otherwise it's as good as new and that damage is easily touched in when I can be bothered - the patch repairs don't show once it's had another coating of sawdust and dirt.

I know this is a UK product but I'm sure something similar will be available in the US. I painted it on with a long-handled roller and touched in the edges with a disposable brush - first coat slightly thinned and then the second/final coat as it poured out of the tin. It took far longer to clear the garage floor ready for painting than it did to paint on. It's amazing stuff and wasn't expensive (£35 for 5 litres) - I used about 7.5 litres for a double garage. A smoother surface would have required significantly less.

Return to “Painting”