Little Hunk - keeping it clean

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Baron

Little Hunk - keeping it clean

Post by Baron » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:38 am

I am interested in oiling or varnishing the interior of Little Hunk. I have never done this on previous boats before but rather, after spilling glue all over and sanding it up for hours and hours, I gave up and painted all interiors with epoxy. Once epoxy is spilled onto a surface doesnt that ruin it for oiling......won't the spilled glue spot always show through the oil? How do I protect the sides from getting all gunked up when fastening? How do I keep glue from squeezing out all over when I drive the screws into the frames? These things never mattered to me on past builds as they were just "rough use boats". This boat needs to be a little prettier.
Is peel ply just regular plastic sheeting? In the past I used Saran Wrap for part molding.

Baron

Re: Little Hunk - keeping it clean

Post by Baron » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:52 am

I'm hoping that someone with experience could reflect on this and help me understand how to avoid getting glue all over making it possible to varnish or oil the interior.

Best!
Don

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:54 pm

Glen recommends epoxy encapsulation for the entire interior of the hull as well. I would think just varnish or oil would cause premature failure of the epoxy/cloth on the outside of the hull. There are certain brands of varnish that work well over epoxy as well. You can even buy UV resistant epoxy. That said, if you wanted to oil your sole or other non structural pieces I don't see a problem there.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Baron

Post by Baron » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:26 pm

I guess I agree. But so many builders are using Cetol or tung oil and I had thought that was beneficial on a workboat.
So I should epoxy the whole interior and also protect the epoxy w/varnish?

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:34 am

Epoxy will essentially waterproof your hull. The cloth (on the exterior only) will help to protect that waterproofing. The intention of the cloth is not to add strength to the hull. This would all be a different story if you were planking your boat in a more "traditional" way. If you are going with some type of solid wood planking for your cockpit sole or other interior or topside parts and want easy repairability, then go ahead and just use oil or varnish and make it easy to touch up dings. In my case, I essentially coated every single item in my boat with epoxy. I used about 7 gallons of epoxy over the course of the build including using it for my structural glueing. There were a few non-structural areas where I used Titebond 3 like on the seats and a few other areas. Anywhere you have epoxy that is exposed to sunlight it should be top coated with some type of UV protection, whether that be paint or varnish. I used System 3 WR-LPU coatings (in colors and clear) to finish my boat. There are many other suitable coating systems.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Baron

Post by Baron » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:23 am

I am a bit confused though as I thought that oils and including cetol do waterproof the interior and protects the outside from delaminating. I was thinking of oiling the interior based on how quickly repairable it is.
How is it that those with natural interiors show no epoxy marks next to their frame joints?
When I glued some frames recently to ply sides the glue did what glue does and squeezed out. I used a putty knife and cleaned it up but that which penetrated the ply grain remained their. This area will not absorb Oil and if you oil the rest you’ll be able to see where the epoxy was wiped or sanded away.
It looks like goddell put tape on the plywood on each side of the frame. Is this standard procedure?

Return to “Painting”