Need primer?

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Otter

Need primer?

Post by Otter »

I am getting ready to use WR-LPU on my boat...any need to use a primer? I already bought the system 3 primer. When I read the instructions for the top coat paint, they seemed to indicated it can be applied directly to the epoxy.
Chris Otterness
Whitewater 16, Guillemot

Roberta

Re: Need primer?

Post by Roberta »

I used the primer wh I used Wr-lpu. I think it evens out the tone and gives better coverage with thinner coats.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

billy c

Post by billy c »

Chris-
I didn't use the primer on mine and the epoxy base coat was fine. I was using the Mercer green (and Clear Gloss on the brightwork), but I suppose over lighter colors, the primer coat first might work better. Can't hurt to use it since you have already bought it.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Billy is correct. Darker colors will cover better. Whites and yellows not so good. Remember to keep humidity high, thin the paint to prevent fast evaporation and allow better flow and leveling, and apply thin coats. Avoid trying to fix blotches and cover too quickly. This stuff will cling when applied too thick and suddenly run right to the floor. Flood your floor with water to add to humidity and keep dust down.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I used primer under my wr-lpu. I was doing red which has a hard time covering, so the primer helped.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I did the bottom in red without primer. It took five coats to hide everything.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

+1 on primer under red. Something about red pigments. Epoxy must be a suitable surface for the top coat, since my clear gloss stuck to it.

Like Roberta said, raise the humidity in the shop any way you can. Water or the floor and I used a room humidifier that we had to help you breathe when you are sick. It will help the paint flow and keep a wet edge for blending.

Unless you are spraying, expect a bit of orange peel and brush marks. If you want a super smooth, glossy finish you will need to wet sand and buff it out.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Otter

Post by Otter »

Thanks, everyone! I will try priming tonight.
Chris Otterness
Whitewater 16, Guillemot

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I'm glad you asked this cause' I'm almost there myself..
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I used VC Performance on the bottom of the Tahoe without primer. It only comes in white.

I used Pettit on the Bartender. They said to prime. They have two primers, white for light colors and a grey for dark colors. For darker colors they said mix some of your top coat with the primer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

That is interesting Bill, I would think that suggestion is so any scratches won't show quite so much. Since most bottom paints are designed to wear away (ablative), I thought the point at which you can see the primer is an indicator that you need to re-do your paint?
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

The VC is an epoxy paint with UV inhibitor, It also has a lot of Teflon in it. It is tough!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Painting”