Do I need bottom paint?

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

arm358

Do I need bottom paint?

Post by arm358 »

Hi all - I'm getting close to the point where I need to paint my hull on my squirt. Trying to plan as best as I can...

I would like to paint the hull all one color -- a dark navy blue. I am trying to avoid having a different color for the bottom and sides.

I'm reading that I should use bottom-specific paint for the bottom and topside for the sides, but I can't really find any bottom paints that fit the color I'd like to use up the sides as well.

I won't have the squirt in the water more than a day and the paint will be going over the epoxied fiberglass. Rest of the time it will be trailered. Can I use topside paint for the entire bottom hull? Or should I really use bottom paint for bottom and sides if I want all one color? Any recommendations on paint type/brands for this specific case?

Thanks!

kens

Re: Do I need bottom paint?

Post by kens »

make a test sample of your epoxy/paint process, and leave it in a rain barrel for awhile, and check it once in awhile
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

My boat never spent more than a week in the water except a few years ago when we spent a month in Florida on the St John's River. I have Epifanes two part polyurethane on the bottom, which is basically considered a top side paint. It is over epoxied fiberglass and Epifanes epoxy primer. Never had an issue and it is holding up fine after 7 seasons.

The Zip I built has System Three WR LPU on it with their primer also over epoxied fiberglass. It appeared to be fine when I saw the boat at the Gathering last weekend after 11 years.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

I have Interlux Brightsides topside paint on the bottom of my skiff. If you leave it in the water more than 12 hours you risk little tiny bubbles the size of a poppyseed every half inch or so. Not so much at the bottom but on the waterline. Strange, it's 4 years old, I leave it in at the Gatherings and get them, it doesnt seem to hurt it much, you have to get right up to it to see it. They are below the red
thumbnail_image0.jpg

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Since my boat will not be in the water for long periods of time, I used WR-LPU on the bottom.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

kens

Post by kens »

I had heard of the pros/cons of using topsides paint on bottoms. I built without any paint at all.
I used graphite powder in epoxy resin, and got a black bottom, while it is not totally UV protected, it is on bottom. Being straight epoxy I still maintain the opt to apply anything at any later time. After 15years yeah it was dull, but no blisters peeling or anything, I mopped on a new coat this summer.
There are other additives/fillers that yield various colors.
There are also color pigments:
http://www.uscomposites.com/pigments.html

And gel coat is another option on a new build.

just some options
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

kens wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:15 am
...I used graphite powder in epoxy resin, and got a black bottom....
I've gotten epoxy on my hands but I've never gotten it on my bottom. But even then, it didn't color my hands black.

OH WAIT!

You're talking about the bottom of your boat! :roll:

Sorry, my bad.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Squirt is topside paint , all one color. No problems. It never stays in the water more than 2 days.
Malahini is automotive paint, still looks good after 4 years.
I have found banging into the dock and trailer bunks the greatest challenge the paint faces.
Matt B
Attachments
A06248FA-8CA8-497A-95D4-1A3495CE328A.jpeg
2C38CB9F-B526-4F2E-86CA-B3AE6D38102C.jpeg

Return to “Painting”