Automotive Clear Coat Vs. Varnish

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

n.mike

Automotive Clear Coat Vs. Varnish

Post by n.mike » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 am

I saw a youtube video of someone building a boat and I think they were using an automotive clear coat as a uv protectant for the epoxy. Is this an acceptable practice? If one did use a clear coat instead of varnish would you avoid the yellowing and the cracking and peeling that comes with an aging varnish coat? (I am thinking of the restored wood seats on my fishing boat that are now starting to crack and peel)

Thanks for any input

Mike

Bill Edmundson

Re: Automotive Clear Coat Vs. Varnish

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:30 am

Mike

2-part polyurethane clearcoat is the best UV protection. I used Interlux perfection. Automotive clearcoat will work above the waterline.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:47 am

n.mike wrote:I saw a youtube video of someone building a boat and I think they were using an automotive clear coat as a uv protectant for the epoxy. Is this an acceptable practice? If one did use a clear coat instead of varnish would you avoid the yellowing and the cracking and peeling that comes with an aging varnish coat? (I am thinking of the restored wood seats on my fishing boat that are now starting to crack and peel)

Thanks for any input

Mike
Mike i think the Interlux Perfection Plus is where you want to be if you are talking two part urethane finishes over wood.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:54 am

Interesting, I was going thru my files last evening and came across this doc posted by Paul Kane (aka Hot Rod) regarding boat finishes

Everyone might find it of interest to read.

http://www.vintagehydroplanes.com/buffing.html

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:59 am

At last year's Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival, the boat that everyone was going ga-ga over was a rowboat, of all things. But a very special rowboat it was with beautiful details, lots of contrasting woods, exceptional craftmanship, and a finish to die for.

The builder, an auto body shop owner in Mobile, Alabama finished the boat with what he was used to working with, automotive clearcoat. In his words, "automotive clearcoat is designed to protect car paint in all kinds of severe outdoor environments, why wouldn't it be an excellent protector of a boat which infrequently gets wet".

I'd already bought the interlux varnish for my boat and so that's what it's finished with; but, my brother who's a very accomplished street rod builder (http://www.ccstreetrods.zoomshare.com/) and who sprayed the interlux varnish finish on my boat also told me, "I'll spray it with whatever you want, but you'd get a better and stronger finish with auto clear coat."

Due to some minor separation problems with my deck, I plan to sand down and refinish my decking toward the end of the summer and at the moment my plans are to use auto clearcoat this time around. But I'd really be interested in hearing more opinions on this prior to proceeding.

billy c

Post by billy c » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:07 am

could be WAY off on this but i believe the automotive finish is too hard a coating and with slight wood movement would not hold up on the raw wood surface. the Perfection seems to me be a little softer. what i have taken out of the dry paint containers is moderately flexible. Would not think it would matter if you are fiberglassing over wood then automotive urethane.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:11 am

Thanks for posting the link to the article, Dave. I've bookmarked to review again in 2 to 3 months before I begin refinishing.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:28 am

Billy C, looks like you've got a sensational finish on the kayak you're building. How are you finishing it?

n.mike

Post by n.mike » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:54 am

Thank you for all of the good information. I have bookmarked the link as well and will also revisit it when it comes time for me to finish a boat. It looks as though an automotive clear is the finish for me. Here is a link to the video I was talking about. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqr7tzto ... re=related)

Thanks,

Mike

kens

Post by kens » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:58 pm

Some of these forum members have seen my boat. All of the Sapele & Mahogany (transom & carlings) is automotive clear over epoxy. It is holding up very well.
Even my white sides are automotive 2-part polyurethane , and that held up quite well against a dock. I highly recommend 2-part autobody polyurethane.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:27 pm

that is helpful information Ken
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

billy c

Post by billy c » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:34 pm

BayouBengal wrote:Billy C, looks like you've got a sensational finish on the kayak you're building. How are you finishing it?
Thanks! that is Perfection Plus. runs about the same cost as automotive with the advantage it is a marine finish you can tip and roll if you do not have the proper equipment to spray.
-Billy

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:26 am

Thanks! that is Perfection Plus. runs about the same cost as automotive with the advantage it is a marine finish you can tip and roll if you do not have the proper equipment to spray.
Did you roll and tip it, or did you spray it?

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am

BayouBengal wrote:
Did you roll and tip it, or did you spray it?
3" brush made from 1/3 of a foam roller. not enough flat surface area to bother with a roller :lol:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:01 pm

I rolled and tipped Perfection with a West System foam roller and a good 2" brush. I worked about a 2'x2' area at a time.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build