Spraying supermarine tomorrow

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Gwoloshyn

Spraying supermarine tomorrow

Post by Gwoloshyn »

I'm spraying my TNT tomorrow with a canister type sprayer hooked up to an air compressor. My friend will actually be doing the painting. I'm wondering how much I need to thin the paint. Anybody know?

ttownshaw

Re: Spraying supermarine tomorrow

Post by ttownshaw »

I thinned my darker paint about 20% and the clear about 10% ish....spraying might require a little more or less...dunno. I rolled/tipped mine.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Copied from the SM website...Spray: Recommend small-medium size tip.

Thinner: All applications will require 10-20% dilution; See (SM-101 Leveling Thinner) do not substitute.

You might give SM a call or email they always were quick to respond.

Gwoloshyn

Post by Gwoloshyn »

Thanks, I'll post pictures in my thread when the spraying is complete!

One more thing, would help to get more of a glossy finish if I wet sanded and buffed after the paint has cured? I'm not familiar with the "buffing" process.

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Ted Gauthier did that with good results on SM paint. I would hope by spraying it on it will be much smoother than rolling and you wouldnt need to wet sand and buff though

woodenaye

Post by woodenaye »

DO NOT BUFF! You can wet sand and then spray over the dulled surface, this will not affect the finish of your final coats (as long as adequate drying time is given). Buffing between coats will contaminate the surface and diminish the ability of fresh paint to key to the surface.
Also, use a wax and grease remover {just to be sure}. Wipe on and thoroughly wipe off. Use a light tack rag (blue?) before painting. Additional coats should be applied [ with two-part paints ] when a touch on the surface yields a fine stringiness. Obviously don't touch on a surface that will be later visible.

Michael
Michael

You can't make strawberry jam (jelly) out of pigs%#t.

jprice

Post by jprice »

not between coats, but there's nothing wrong with buffing the final coat after it's fully cured.

Edit: holy cow, just noticed the initial date on this thread. guess this is old news. :oops:

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater »

Whether or not you need to wet sand and buff depends on how well the paint is laid down. I always wet sand and buff. You cannot get that " slick as glass" look without it.

If you are new to painting, the biggest difference between a good paint job and a bad one is the wet sanding and buffing.

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

Return to “Painting”