Painting with Epoxy paints from Home Depot???

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Huntleybill

Painting with Epoxy paints from Home Depot???

Post by Huntleybill » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:12 pm

I want to paint my TNT and someone suggested I could use an 1 part epoxy paint from home depot. I found some gloss white which would be perfect. I do plan on fiber glassing the bottom. Will this paint work? Or more specifically will it be durable for water use? The boat will be trailered to the water so it won't be sitting in water for long periods.

Also, I wanted to paint the inside with this instead of buying the epoxy sealers if that will work. Will it? your expertise would be appreciated.

Thank you
Bill

vupilot

Re: Painting with Epoxy paints from Home Depot???

Post by vupilot » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:38 pm

I used some of the Rust-O-leum marine paint from Lowes on my kayak for the boot stripe. It came out nice, Warren has used it too and liked it if I remember correct. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4

You can use the search function of this site to read more about it from previous threads about it.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:02 am

I used the Rustoleum a few years back and liked it.

I was going to use it on my skiff, and got one coat on,went to scuff up for second coat, and it just rolled off.....too soft.

Maybe be ok in low wear area if let set for a week. but I couldn't scuff sand after 24 hrs in hot weather.

I went to Brightsides

lakeracer69

Post by lakeracer69 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:08 am

Don't do it. I tried a single part epoxy concrete paint from there on a Minimost interior. It all needs to be redone, and the boat only sat outside in the weather. never made it in the water yet. :evil:
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

jcallends

Post by jcallends » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:17 am

I have also used the one part epoxy garage floor paint rated as indoor/outdoor but I used it on the interior. Asking any paint, not designed to be in constant contact with water for any length of time, is asking for trouble. Just because it is epoxy means nothing, the above mentioned product is cleaned up with water.

Return to “Painting”