Good Spray on Paint

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

indyillini

Good Spray on Paint

Post by indyillini » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:49 am

All,
I am going to be ready for painting in the next month or so. I am building a runabout that will be trailored the majority of the time and never be in the water more than one day. I have spray equipment and would like to take advantage of that method. Any recommendations on a paint type?

jcallends

Re: Good Spray on Paint

Post by jcallends » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:40 am

Check manufacturer's web sites for reccomendations for spraying. I used HMG primer, a two part epoxy, rolled on and white polyurethane sprayed on. Several of the paint sites I looked at would not guarantee their paint in contact with water even if only for a day!

red

Post by red » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:45 am

check interlux made by Akzo Nobel

indyillini

Post by indyillini » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:31 am

Any specific interlux paint? I googled and came up with quite a few product variations. I doubt I need antifouling for a trailored boat? Could I use brightside on the bottom of my boat?

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:37 am

I understand you will not have the boat in the water for extended periods of time, but a hard finish is as important for 'trailering' as being in the water. There have been a few threads from folks that kept getting 'scuffing' on their bottom paint when they opted to use topside paint on the bottom of the hull.

I used Interlux VC Performance Epoxy, which is a true 2 equal part epoxy coating designed for immersion, I believe for up to 60 days, but is very hard and great for extensive trailering. It was sprayed on, and while I have sprayed 'traditional' paints, this was one part of my buidl that I 'subbed out' to a pro. It was well worth the small cost as I did not want to risk messing up and having to sand off one hard coating. I am months away from launch so cannot attest to real world performance, but it came highly recommended.
Attachments
DSC03277.JPG
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Return to “Painting”