Paint over epoxy question..

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Huntleybill

Paint over epoxy question..

Post by Huntleybill » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:35 am

I am encapsulating the interior of mt TNT. I plan to paint the interior and was wondering if I need the 2 coats of epoxy if I am going to also prime and paint over the encapsulation? Or do you recommend the 2 coats of epoxy regardless?

DaveLott

Re: Paint over epoxy question..

Post by DaveLott » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:57 am

Huntleybill wrote:I am encapsulating the interior of mt TNT. I plan to paint the interior and was wondering if I need the 2 coats of epoxy if I am going to also prime and paint over the encapsulation? Or do you recommend the 2 coats of epoxy regardless?

Are you sealing your wood with CPES first? If so, apply 4 coats and then your paint. No regular epoxy or primer is needed and you wood will be sealed for good
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Huntleybill

Post by Huntleybill » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:08 pm

I have put one coat (so far ) of poxy sheild as that is what I was told to use from Glen-l. I don't know what CPES is. Did I do it wrong already??

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 pm

Huntleybill wrote:I have put one coat (so far ) of poxy sheild as that is what I was told to use from Glen-l. I don't know what CPES is. Did I do it wrong already??

Don't work. Do two coats, scuff up and then prime and paint
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Return to “Painting”