what varnish to use??

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

dylansharrock

what varnish to use??

Post by dylansharrock » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 pm

we just finished fiberglassing the hull of our zip, now we want to varnish but we dont know what varnish is best over the glen l epoxy? any recommendations on varnishes?
Attachments
stain.jpg

Roberta

Re: what varnish to use??

Post by Roberta » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:22 pm

You will get as many recommendations as there are builders on this site. :lol: If you don't want a lot of fumes, will not be mooring in water for prolonged periods (more than a few days) and like water cleanup, use System Three products. Start with Yacht primer on the bottom to fill and smooth to the water line. Then I used WR-LPU Mercer Green on the bottom of my Zip and then used clear gloss on the sides, deck, and transom. I used satin in the interior. All of these products are compatible and designed to be used over epoxy that has been properly applied and sanded. Glen L sells all these products.

Roberta :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi Dylan.

I am pretty sure that any varnish can go over properly cured and flat sanded (not smooth sanded) Epoxy as it turns into a completely inert plastic compound. There are two pack ones which are much harder but prone to cracking, and then the traditional "spar type" varnishes. The two pack tend to be very clear, while the "normal" varnishes add a honey tint to the coating. If you don't like re-finishing every few years, go a 2 pack as they last longer. If you like the look of real varnish and don't mind the extra work then go with traditional.
Best of luck.
Glenn.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

Yup, most any marine varnish of your choice can be used. Just stick with a name brand marine varnish and you cant really go wrong.

I like Epifanes varnish. Its a one part varnish but its nearly clear so it wont change the tint of the wood much. Its a little thicker than some so it will need to be thinned at least 10%

Please show and tell us more about your Zip also.

Return to “Painting”