Which primer?

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Andy Garrett

Which primer?

Post by Andy Garrett » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:43 pm

Most of the paint manufacturers list different types of primer and prep procedures for either wood or fiberglass.

However, my boat (like most around here) is fiberglass over wood with epoxy encapsulation. I was intending to use the materials and processes appropriate for the fiberglass route. Is this correct?
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Lowka53

Re: Which primer?

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:11 pm

:lol: I would think so the wood is covered with fiber glass. so your paint will be bonding to it not the wood. :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:21 pm

I have seen primer specified differently for over wood, fiberglass, and clear epoxy. I have had very fast turn around when i ask a question to interlux tech department. I wouldnt hesitate to ask the pros.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:26 pm

My though is, why would you put an epoxy barrier coat/primer over epoxy? I painted my bottom paint directly to the epoxy.

The 2 part clear coat, by interlux, is just paint and it doesn't need a primer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sawford11

Post by sawford11 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:48 pm

I purchased brightside polyurethane (one part) for the bottom of my zip. It is technically a topside finish but is supposedly ok for boats that will be trailered and/or left in the water for less than 3 days. Interlux tech department recommended primekote (two part epoxy primer) over the clear epoxy since I was using Brightside as a bottom paint. The claim is the primekote will seal off the epoxy amine blush from working to the surface. After I applied 2 coats of primekote (and sanding), I applied a layer of prekote (which I had in 'inventory'). The reason I went with the extra coating of primer is that the prekote has really good 'hiding' characteristics and I noticed a couple of areas that I wasn't totally satisfied with the finish (of the primekote). The Prekote sands easily, a lot easier than epoxy, and really provides a nice, smooth coating to apply the final finish.

Long story short....I applied primer for two reasons 1.) at the direction of the tech department and 2.) because it provided an easy to apply, easy to sand coating that allows you to see any flaws (and fix them) in the epoxy finish prior to the final coat of finish.

Andy - please keep in mind that I have no experience with this and I am likely about 2 days ahead of you on our zip builds. I am taking interlux tech department on faith that they know more about the finish than I do. Hopefully I am not complaining about my finish the first time I pull the boat back out of the water.....

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Like sawford11, I used Interlux Pre-Kote Primer and Brightside paint on the bottom of my kayak. It was Okoume, with fiberglass and epoxy. As previously said, the Pre-Kote does a very good job of hiding inperfections. It is also kinda like talc and should be used in low humidity. Now is the perfect time of year to use it. BUT, wear a respirator and have good ventilation. That stuff is strong.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:15 am

Thanks fellas,

I did see that Interlux has instructions for epoxy, so that helps if I go that route.

I'm used to the strong stuff too. The House of Kolor paints I put on my Harley used reducers that ate the rubber gloves of my hands! :shock:

I'm strongly considering a two part like Perfection or Ironsides--probably the later given that it comes in a clear as well. If I do this, I will likely rent a big air compressor and spray it. I want to do this once, ya know?
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 am

Andy,
My Malahini was sprayed with automotive clear coat. I paid an auto painter to do it. If you have the skills to use a HVLP sprayer, then go for it! The finish is totally different than other boats I've seen. It is easy to take care of and I can use Mothers or McGuires clear coat safe products for cleaining and waxing. But, there is something about wood with thick varnish that I don't have. I've even been asked if it was a fiberglass boat painted to look like wood. My brother even walked around it tapping on the hull saying that is fiberglass. I'll be keeping it in a covered boat slip on a lift. So we'll see how it holds up. The spiders and birds will be the biggest test. I also have a boat cover and a net that I'm going to hang to keep the varmints away.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Return to “Painting”