paint sprayer set-up

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

alphacat63

paint sprayer set-up

Post by alphacat63 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi all-

I know a lot of you do your own painting, so I was wondering- what type of
paint sprayer set-up works best for you? In addition to my Malahini and various associated "accoutrements" (outboard motor housing, trailer, etc) I also plan on doing some metal lawn furniture and an older (air cooled) VW in the near future. I just want to
get a good idea of what I should look for in a compressor/sprayer set-up?
Nothing big or fancy- just want a really good finish. Any recommendations?

Dave

v-driver

Re: paint sprayer set-up

Post by v-driver » Tue May 29, 2012 8:18 pm

I used a DeVilbiss HVLP sprayer for PPG automotive polyurethane and for Imron. It worked great for both. I also have a cut-rate, but good quality, Chinese-made gun from Harbor Freight that is an absolute knock-off of a DeVilbiss JGA suction-feed gun. I use it for painting ornamental metal work, but wouldnt hesitate to use it on a car or boat. With the right cleaning and careful disassembly/reassembly I expect it to last a long time. It's not fussy about setup. I've found that two things make for a great paint job - clean, dry air and NO DUST!

My air system is a 15HP, 220v, single stage system with a 40 gallon receiver that's good for about 130psi working pressure. I use this for everything air related. With the HVLP gun it runs about 20% of the time so it has a pretty fast recovery rate but I have forgotten the specs on that. I run the output air through a self-made, in-line, dessicant bed dryer. The crystal dessicant turns blue when it's moisture laden and I simply remove it from the housing and spread it on an old cookie sheet and pop it in a 200* oven to drive off the water. After that, it's good to be reused. The dryer is essential for painting and for the plasma cutter.

My advise it to spend the most you can afford on the compressor system. It's the largest investment and one that you will truly regret if you get too little compressed air. Don't ask how I know that... It takes a lot of air to use a HVLP system if you choose to go that way. Even most of the low cost suction spray guns will perform adequately for the hobbyist. A fairly good suction or suction/pressure gun system should be available for $200 to $300. Shop for used, but take someone knowledgeable with you to avoid buying an item that is damaged or worn out.

Good luck, Dave, and let us know what you select.
Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:28 am

When I was painting my airplanes with 2 part polyeurothanes I use a Citation HVLP system with a fresh air mask and compressor. The system had a separate breathing air compressor and one for spraying. I like HVLP with it's lower over spray.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

alphacat63

Post by alphacat63 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for the input. BTW, somebody sent me these links:

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1

I'm not so sure I'm ready to try this on "the big stuff", but I do have a couple of old metal "tulip" (aka "motel") chairs I plan to practice on this weekend- will keep you posted!

Return to “Painting”