Roll and Tip Question

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

indyillini

Roll and Tip Question

Post by indyillini » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 am

All,
After considering spraying I am going with the roll and tip method to paint my boat. I am using Interlux VC Performance Epoxy on the bottom with four coats. My question is do I need to roll and tip all four coats or just the final one? Thanks for the help.

fergal butler

Re: Roll and Tip Question

Post by fergal butler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 am

You will be sanding between each coat so it won't make much difference the tipping is handy enough to do on each coat and will save a bit on the sanding :D

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:32 pm

I havent used the VC epoxy paint but if it goes on similar to Brightsides I would tip each coat. It has thousands of tiny bubbles when rolled on and you need to tip them out. Here is a video showing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo
Each coat will get smoother and smoother as you fill low spots with paint and sand off the high spots in between coats. I tend to believe the rougher you layers below, the rougher the final coat will be.

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:55 am

I found after applying with a roller I got better results tipping off with a 50 cent foam brush than a $50 conventional brush. This applies to epoxy, paint or varnish.
ozzieboat