Completely New to Painting, Need Advice

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

areame

Completely New to Painting, Need Advice

Post by areame » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:41 am

I fiberglassed my Squirt last weekend and except for another coat or two of epoxy and sanding, I'll be ready to paint soon (I'll be painting after the decking is complete). I'm having trouble on finding any information on how to go about this process. I thought about going to West Marine, but decided it's probably best to start here. I researched the interlux and epifanes paints and then started to get lost in the needs of brightside vs bottom paint. The boat will only be in the water for about 3-7 hours at a time, but maybe left over night once or twice a year. Would this mean brightside is ok for the hull as well? Also, how much paint/coats should I be looking at? While trying to keep a budget in mind (yeah right ha), what's the best way to go about this.

I know this is a lot so thanks for looking!

ttownshaw

Re: Completely New to Painting, Need Advice

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 am

Best advice is to pick a system and stick with it (one brand). I used Super Marine for my Malahini but probably won't use it on future builds even though I personally have been reasonably happy with the results.

Will probably go Interlux VC Offshore for the bottom and brightsides for other areas on future builds. All systems can be a little tricky to apply just make sure you understand the instructions. A quart should be more than enough for the bottom of a squirt.

Don't use cheap mohair rollers or brushes! Most foam rollers are fine. Don't apply any paint too thick and reapply only as instructed (some paints have to be sanded between coats) while others have a reapplication window of time.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

red

Post by red » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:43 am

one quart will be enough to do two to three coats on the bottom the sides and top will take atleast a quart and a half to do multiple coats if you dont plan on leaving the boat in the water more than two days and only overnite a few times a year youll probably be ok with just useing brightsides. As far as application a foam roller is probably the best way to go unless you can spray it ( ie. have the equipment and a suitable place)

areame

Post by areame » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:24 pm

It sounds like I'll go with a brightside paint and stick to foam rollers. Thanks for the responses!

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Good plan. I loved using brightsides on my kayak bottom. No problem keeping in the water a couple nights.

Interlux recommends their epoxy Primekote with brightsides but many of us, me included have used Prekote instead with no issue at all. Its a slightly easier to use 1 part product than the 2 part Primekote. Expect to do 3 coats, 2 at a minimum. Use thin, thin coats and dont load the foam roller up too much. You will need to tip it with a foam or hair brush also.

Here is a great video of rolling and tipping Brightsides. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlN ... 0E530EFB3F

areame

Post by areame » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:17 pm

M eyes lit up when I saw you had posted a video ha, I'm definitely a visual learner. My next question was going to be about what to use before the paint, so thanks for the info on the Prekote, that's likely what I'll be going with.

raymacke

Post by raymacke » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 pm

l also have a little info on my web page you might find helpful - http://egyptian.net/~raymacke/paint.htm
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

areame

Post by areame » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for the link, the more info on the roll and tip process the better!

Return to “Painting”