First Timer Quality of Finish???

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Muellerd

First Timer Quality of Finish???

Post by Muellerd » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Many years ago (about 25) I built a little project dinghy boat using plywood/fiberglass. I was fairly young and inexperienced about most everything. Needless to say, it turned out looking a little on the rough side. So I am wondering when I attempt to build a boat now how most first timers feel/rate the quality of fiberglassing and painting their first boat build? Is it show quality? Satisfactory?
I feel like I have gained quite a bit of knowledge, skill and craftsmanship through my home additions, remodeling, my current job and using tools since my first boat project when I was young. So, I would hope I could do a whole lot better this time. For painting, I would probably pay some painter guys I know of.

Dennis
It's Just Wood and Nails...

Current Build -- Sabotina

billy c

Re: First Timer Quality of Finish???

Post by billy c » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:45 am

Muellerd wrote: I am wondering when I attempt to build a boat now how most first timers feel/rate the quality of fiberglassing and painting their first boat build? Is it show quality? Satisfactory?
I feel like I have gained quite a bit of knowledge, skill and craftsmanship through my home additions, remodeling, my current job and using tools since my first boat project when I was young.
Dennis
as you know from your "projects" there's always a learning curve when working with new materials/surfaces. if you bring the willingness to read, study and become active on the forum before you leap into things ...would say satisfactory for most of it with occasional glimmers of brilliance :wink:
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 am

To be honest with you, ... It will come out the way "YOU" want it to come out. If you want it to be really nice, ... you will take the time to be sure it will be nice with proper materials, patients, research and pride. If you just want to get it over with, ... it will show also. It's up to you.

How do you want the finish to look?, ... is the real question.
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

rocker

Post by rocker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:55 pm

I agree Bill. I found that if I take the time to read up and even check out pics of other builds,I learn something that I would never have known or considered about the next step in my build.
Saves on makeing mistakes and comes out nicer.

Muellerd

Post by Muellerd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:51 am

Kinda what I was figuring. If I screw it up, I spose everything is fixable, with time and money that is. I've already learned quite a bit just browsing around the board here. Hopefully I can gain enough knowledge before I start. I personally feel the wood construction part won't be an issue but more wondering about my ability to do the fiberglassing. Only one way to find out.
Thanks for the input!

Dennis
It's Just Wood and Nails...

Current Build -- Sabotina

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:29 am

The great thing about learning how to glass, ... is you can do it all, while not practicing on your boat. Use some scrap wood and practice a few times all the way to the paint. Do like a 12"x12" area 3-4 times. After that, ... you'll know exactly what your doing.

Any time you try something new, ... go to your scrap wood pile and try it their first before you experiment on your boat. Worst case scenario, ... trow it away and do another. :mrgreen:
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

doki444

Post by doki444 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:09 am

No doubt you are hard worker person but last 25 years and in 2013 is very huge change is coming..these time paints wood and many other parts are not comfortable comparing to the present years..can you send me the pics of the old boats??

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Showroom quality is a matter of crazy patience and doing multiple layers til it's flawless to the eye. That is generally not a first timer as the process is pretty long and the learning curve is high enough that you get less patient near the end and just want to see the thing float.

That said, if you take care and do clean work, you can create an admirable quality finish. However if you want to impress the judges at a show, then you have to put in the time and sand like a madman till its smooth like glass.

Roberta's Oliver IV refinishing is a good example of the level of commitment it takes to get that level of quality.

For myself, I was less concerned about showroom quality than I was about making it useable and maintainable based on using it in various lakes, fishing, hauling kids, etc. No showrooms for my boat, just the occaisional admiration from passer's by and the joy of having a boat I made with my 2 hands creating lifelong memories for my family.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Return to “Painting”