Oil vs Varnish brightwork opinions/experience wanted

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

scottinwv

Oil vs Varnish brightwork opinions/experience wanted

Post by scottinwv » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm currently working on a clinker Whitehall. The interior will be light gray, exterior white. The thwarts, transom, inwales, guards and knees are all white oak and will be finished bright.

This boat will get its share of wear as it will be used for day long river rows with plenty of gear loaded in and out regularly.

In reading Iain Oughtred's "Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual" he mentions using oil such as Deks Olje as his favorite bright finish. Advantages would be easy to always rub on another coat and to touch up scratches, dings, gouges, etc.. The disadvantage would be a satin instead of glossy finish. I will do a test board to see how the finish would look, but would appreciate any info concerning the upkeep and long-term results.

I will be painting the hull this week and starting the finish on the thwarts next week.

I would appreciate opinions of oil vs. varnish, especially from anyone that has used oil for brightwork before.

Thanks,

Scott

Lowka53

Re: Oil vs Varnish brightwork opinions/experience wanted

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:53 am

8) if you use oil it adds to maintenance to your build how easy it is not to apply oil or put it off then you have problem the wood drys out water gets into the wood and rot starts. I would stick to a hard finish if I was you. :(
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 am

Scott,,,, I have used Siikens Cetol gloss to finish all exterior teak on my Egg Harbor sedan. You put on about three coats initially and then maintain it with a fresh coat each season. All you have to do is lightly sand to scratch the surface prior to applying the yearly maintenance coat. It is easy to use and very durable. Look into it as it may be your answer.....Neel

scottinwv

Post by scottinwv » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I'll look into the Sikkens Cetol.

Scott

kens

Post by kens » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:14 pm

The natural finish parts that I have, I used no stain, and clear automotive polyurethane paint over clear epoxy.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:02 pm

kens wrote:The natural finish parts that I have, I used no stain, and clear automotive polyurethane paint over clear epoxy.
I take it the clear coat you used have uv protection built in
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Painting”