Inside hull paint

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

jbrandt

Inside hull paint

Post by jbrandt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Although this may not really matter since I am encapsulating the frames and inside in epoxy, I was wondering if anyone has tried the rust-oleum topside paint, and if so, how good is it?
it is pretty cheap comparitively, and I thought it might be suitable for the inside of the hull after I have epoxied it. What paint have you guys used? Thanks!
Jerry

Bob Maskel

Re: Inside hull paint

Post by Bob Maskel » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:42 pm

jbrandt wrote:Although this may not really matter since I am encapsulating the frames and inside in epoxy, I was wondering if anyone has tried the rust-oleum topside paint, and if so, how good is it?
it is pretty cheap comparitively, and I thought it might be suitable for the inside of the hull after I have epoxied it. What paint have you guys used? Thanks!
Jerry
I found that Rustoleum topside paint of all places at Menards...and the price was right so I gave it a try last spring. I used it on both the white and blue on the Sea Knight. I was real happy with it, the blue was a deep color and both the white and blue held up just fine all season. Depending on what kind of finish you are looking for, this stuff did just fine for me and a "working", rather than a "yacht-like", finish. I just rolled it on. I would think it would hold up very well on the inside of the hull that is less exposed. I used slate gray porch and floor paint in my bilge and I have the sense that the Rustoleum will hold up better. I am going to use the Rustoleum bilge paint on my Malahini.
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

jcallends

Post by jcallends » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:03 am

I have used Rustoleum Epoxy Garage Floor paint on interior floor and hull walls. It is very durable and a one part system but have not seen any other colors than grey.

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Wed May 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Sherwin Williams tile-clad epoxy is great stuff. It runs about $75/gallon. It can be tinted, comes glossy or satin but isn't UV protected.
It is what I call "structural" paint.
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Wed May 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks for that. I think $75 is the limit for what I want to spend, so the Sherwin Williams sounds like a contender. I assume the finish is pretty hard then? Or is it more flexible?
Jerry

bob smith

Post by bob smith » Thu May 02, 2013 4:31 am

The finish I used is glossy and it is hard but not brittle.
It comes in quarts and gallons, but you have to buy both "A" & "B" so you get (and pay for) 2 quarts or 2 gallons ($75 x 2)
Bob Smith
Chester, SC
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Thu May 02, 2013 9:31 pm

I used Rustoleum Topside paint for my tug when I repainted last year. Went on fine and so far hasn't faded significantly (I used red which is notorious for fading).

The Glidden Porch and Floor enamel that I'd used earlier (also in red) faded within a few months.
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Thu May 02, 2013 10:44 pm

Boy have things changed. MY 50 Year old info is way behind us now.
Prep, Primer & Paint was the old way.
Now it's just the 2 Part stuff and only one coat of that. :o

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Sat May 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Amen to that. I am wondering if I will be using primer on any part of my boat... When I get closer to painting the hull I'll start my serious research on how to paint a hull over epoxy.

Return to “Painting”