Repainting an old plywood boat

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Steve S

Repainting an old plywood boat

Post by Steve S » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:03 am

I am working on an older plywood boat. As you can see in the picture, I have lots of work to do. In the red circle it shows small holes in the paint and in the blue circle it shows rough areas. I think they are old sanding marks that have been painted over. I have sanded most of the boat already, but to get rid of these “bad” areas there would be a lot more sanding. Ick! I think the old white paint is an acrylic paint by the smell of it when sanding. My question is, do you think multiple coats of primer and sanding will fill these areas? Would it be better to fill them with epoxy and then sand, prime, and paint? I am planning on using red Rust-Oleum marine paint. (Price and easy of use.) I need to get this job done so I can start on a Squirt. :)
Thanks for the much need help.
Steve

Squirt build

jprice

Re: Repainting an old plywood boat

Post by jprice » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:48 am

I guess it depends on the kind of finish and durability you're looking for.
If you want a high quality, durable finish, then use a paint stripper to get most of the old paint off, and sand it down to bare wood. Then sheathe it in fiberglass, epoxy, and paint.
If it's just a quick fix, then you could probably get away with some hi-build primer and paint.

Steve S

Re: Repainting an old plywood boat

Post by Steve S » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 am

Does anyone recognize the design?

Squirt build

Return to “Painting”