interlux 2 part perfection ?? help/advice

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Mattie411

interlux 2 part perfection ?? help/advice

Post by Mattie411 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Tubby tug, fiberglass, 2 coats of epoxy prime kote, sanding well between coats, very smooth. First coat of perfection went on today, I rolled about a 2 foot square section then tried to tip with a badger brush and it left stroke marks deep enough to see the white primer through the paint. I tried tipping at varying angles, varying pressures, and tried a foam brush as well and nothing seemed to work, I decided just to roll it out as I will probably put 3 coats on and will be sanding between so I was not to worried about the first coat. I did not thin the paint at all as I thought it was fairly thin already, also used the badger brush on the prim kote (for practice) I'm wondering it didn't clean well enough and some hardened on the bristles, although I've left the brush soak in the thinner since using it... Anyone have advice? I want as a good a finish as I can get without spraying...

billy c

Re: interlux 2 part perfection ?? help/advice

Post by billy c » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:38 pm

this video is pretty much what i learned from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK9Zcm543x0
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Interlux goes on very thin. Three coats minimum. It ends up really nice. But, it's a pain.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mattie411

Post by Mattie411 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:29 pm

I have enough for at least four coats, just worried about the brush marks after tipping... I didn't wait 20 minutes after mixing (learned that after) would that cause the tipping to not work so nicely? I found it looked better if I just left it rolled... Should the tipping brush be wet with paint? or dry?

shep

Post by shep » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:51 pm

I used perfection plus varnish/polyurethan and its very sensitive to conditions. Had same issue with brush marks. I would try a bit of the thinner they recommend fir it (2333 I think- check the label) on your next coat to see if it flows out better. It goes on thin and doesn't seem to flow out from what I found. I ended up using a synthetic hair? brush (messed up my Badger hair one and had no choice at that point). Seemed to work better I think.

Mattie411

Post by Mattie411 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:25 am

good to know, Ive got a few things now to try on the second coat. I found a good description of rolling and tipping on The Hull Truth forum which gave me lots of good info. Conditions should be pretty good, I am huge warehouse with the right temp and good airflow. One thing I read was that after tipping for a half hour to an hour your tipping brush should still show no signs of having paint on it. I think I was dragging the brush way to hard, a combination of that and other little things all added up. Doing another coat this morning so will let you know how it works out...

fredt

Post by fredt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am

I am now looking into a paint for the bottom on my Monaco. I see where there is opinions on all of them, Brightside, Perfection, Petit, etc, as far as using them on the bottom. I sent an email to Interlux asking if these could be used,
and his response in the next paragraph. I am also assuming there is a standard factory response for liability reasons.

I am very used to antifouling bottom paints, but like someone else said, why would anyone want to start that process if trailering their boat as it will create much more maintenance than necessary.

Here is his reply:

Fred,

We do not recommend applying our topside paints below the waterline, as they are susceptible to blistering and detachment when submerged. If submerged for less than 24 hours, you MAY not have any issues. Personally, I wouldn’t take the risk of all my hard work falling off the bottom of my boat. Furthermore, wet trailer bunks can cause the same issue.

Alternatively, we recommend painting with VC Performance Epoxy or one of our antifouling paints.

VC Performance Epoxy is a hard, white non biocide paint for below the waterline surfaces. It will dry to a semi gloss finish, and can be burnished to be exceptionally smooth. VC Performance Epoxy can be applied directly to clear epoxy resin, as long as these directions are followed:

1. Allow the epoxy to cure for 3-7 days.

2. After cure, thoroughly scrub the epoxy with soap and water to remove the amine blush. (A byproduct of the epoxy cure reaction.)

3. Wet sand with 80 grit sandpaper.

4. Remove sanding residue by wiping down with Interlux Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202. Use the 2 rag method where solvent is applied with 1 clean rag and removed with another.

5. Apply 3-4 coats of VC Performance Epoxy. It is best to apply this product with a high density foam roller, and not tip the product off.

6. After the final coat has cured for 24 hours, wet sand with 400-600, and polish further if desired. This product will never be high gloss, so polishing may be overkill.

If you choose an antifouling paint, I will give you directions for that paint. Some popular antifouling paints for trailered boats are as follows:

1. Fiberglass Bottomkote Racing Bronze

a. A hard, bronze colored antifouling paint.

b. Will be resistant to scratching off on trailer.

c. Will not lose antifouling performance after a short haul out.

d. Gives wooden boats a classic look

2. Fiberglass Bottomkote NT

a. A hard, dual resin epoxy that will polish somewhat with use.

b. Lower copper levels, is suitable for low and moderate fouling areas.

3. Micron paints

a. Ablative paint that will polish away with use. Will not lose antifouling properties when hauled out.

b. May be susceptible to rubbing off on trailer bunks

I can forward his name and contact info if anyone wishes, but he is a technical rep for the paint.

I was still leaning to the Perfection , until he stated it could be affected by wet trailer bunks. So does anyone have
any thoughts about that and a good direction to go? I see lots of nicely painted bottoms on your boats in greens, reds, etc.

Thanks

Mattie411

Post by Mattie411 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:05 am

Another forum I read stated it would be okay under the waterline for 72 hours, I did not use it on my bottom though, I just left it epoxy white. I figure if it ends up wearing off I will do it with actual bottom paint at that time...

On another note, I did my second coat today, sanded down the 1st with 320 grit, started to roll and tip with all my new tricks to try, the badger brush did not seem to work that nice, which sucks since it was expensive. The $1 brush from Canadian tire worked great... went on really nice and got all the bubbles out with ease... now 2 more coats, hook up the motor, final touches and I'll be ready for the water...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 am

I've said this a few times. I don't know why it doesn't get heard. Bottom paint on the bottom. VC Performance is a great product. It has been on the Tahoe since about 2006 or 2007. I'm with the Interlux guy. Why would you take the risk? There is little difference in price.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mattie411

Post by Mattie411 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:19 pm

A wise man once said "There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up." :D

Mattie411

Post by Mattie411 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:21 pm

They sell VC bottom paint at the local Canadian Tire pretty cheap so I will probably put it on before I am done...

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 pm

VCR Performance Epoxy, used it and loved it. Caveat, I had a pro spray it on.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Mattie411

Post by Mattie411 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:28 pm

starting to look good...
starting to look good...
got it working pretty good now...

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 pm

:D
(insert Witty phrase here)