varnishing

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

TOM K

varnishing

Post by TOM K » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:10 am

I was hoping to do some varnishing with 2 part Interlux varnish. I was hoping to brush this product. Was wondering if anybody out there has had good luck doing this.

Bill Edmundson

Re: varnishing

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:53 am

Tom

I use it. If it's a large surface, I roll it the then tip it with a "dry" brush. It's thin so it self levels well.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:46 am

Is this a top side or bottom paint
And why is there 2 parts.
Jeff

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:02 am

The 2-part Interlux is a polyurethane clearcoat designed to be put on by hand.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Tom
I used the two part Interlux polyurethane varnish. Down under it's called International Perfection Plus Varnish. I was extremely happy with the product. I applied it with a disposable foam roller and tipped it off with a foam brush. I found the 50 cent foam brushes worked better that a $50 bristle brush. To avoid runs apply the varnish to the boat as thin as you can, so that you are just wetting the surface. Varnish no more than a square metre at a time and tip it off in less than five minutes. Any later it will have tacked off. The tipping will remove the stippling bubbles and the varnish will then flow by it's self to give a mirror finish. Replace the foam brush as soon as it shows any signs of holding any varnish. It takes about three hours to be touch dry so dust is a problem. You need to seal off your painting area. Sand between coats with 320 free cut paper using a random orbital sander.
ozzieboat

TOM K

Post by TOM K » Mon May 19, 2014 4:35 pm

had a very bad experience with my interlux perfection plus. Put a few coats on first and then I wanted to have a satin finish.so I use the flattening agent and it did not level at all. It was very jell like in the can. Never using the product, I didn't worry too much about it. I reduced it 30 percent with 2333n. That was a big mistake.so I just spent all weekend sending out brush marks.and I'm ready to try again. Interlux took my batch numbers and told me that it was way out of date, so they sent me some new product. I wish they would have come and did all the sanding also.anyway I was wondering what reducer some of you are using and how much of it. if this happens again I will have to go get some medication from my doctor :D

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Wed May 21, 2014 2:45 am

Tom
I just followed the manufacturer's instructions and had no problems. When I mentioned "apply the varnish as thin as possible" I did mean the application of the varnish not the thinning of the mix. Hope I didn't confuse you.
ozzieboat

TOM K

Post by TOM K » Wed May 21, 2014 3:44 am

no confusion, I use the manufacturer's suggestions also on the varnish and everything came out fine. It was when I put the last coat on using the flattening agent. Since it was so thick and jelly like I tried reducing it a little extra. Normally I reduce about 10 percent. But I did find out when using the flattening agent I should be using 2316 reducer. So I have to sand a few more small pieces and the louver door and I'll be ready to go again

Return to “Painting”