Roller, bristle brush or foam brush?

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

BlueRidgeBoater

Roller, bristle brush or foam brush?

Post by BlueRidgeBoater »

I'm in the process of priming the interior of my boat, and have read a lot of conflicting reviews about the best ways to apply primer and finished coats of marine paint (I'm using System Three and building a power skiff). I have started the first coat of primer with a bristle brush, but the larger areas seem to take a while with a brush, and I'm not certain the coverage is as even as I would get with a roller (for both primer and finished coats). Thoughts on best application methods? Spraying is not an option for me. I understand that, if I use a roller, I may need to tip the paint, but that doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

rbrandenstein

Re: Roller, bristle brush or foam brush?

Post by rbrandenstein »

I would try a foam roller and tip, if necessary, with a foam brush. I used the rollers that are about 1" in diameter and available everywhere. The roller seemed to leave some small bubbles so I had to tip to smooth it out. Just toss when done, no cleanup required.

BlueRidgeBoater

Post by BlueRidgeBoater »

I'm kind of beginning to rethink the spray option. How hard is it to spray with marine paint, and what kind of spray gun would I need? If it's not too expensive, I might consider going that route.

slug

Post by slug »

Spraying marine paint isn't any problem. You'll have to thin a little more than for brushing and use fairly light coats ( it comes out fairly fast so runs show up quick!)
To me it's the best for interiors.
Only problem is whether you have enough air supply for the job. possibly renting a compressor for a half day would be an option.
I'd go with a gravity feed gun ( with the paint tank on top) and you can get an acceptable unit for under $50.

Doug

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

My vote is for an HVLP gun, top tank, under $100.00 for a decent one. They run on lower pressure 30-40 psi, so use less air so not as big a compressor is necessary. Plus with HVLP you get more of the good stuff where it belongs and less 'blowing in the wind'.

Takes a bit of practice, but used one to spray all my varnish inside and out.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

Which HVLP unit would you recommend.
Jeff

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

I just purchased one of the high end all-in-one HVLP from Lowe's for finishing work on some cabinetry and was quite amazed.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter »

Can't remember the actual brand, nothing on the body of the unit either. Key thing I've discovered is having a 1.4 mm tip to handle the viscosity of varnish. I still got a very slightly 'pebbly' surface even shooting with the HVLP, but that buffed out after she cured for a good long time.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Return to “Painting”